Why are some pads silent with some expansions?

fdwy_phto
fdwy_phto Member Posts: 7 Member
edited December 2022 in Maschine

I suspect this is related to M1 compatibility but I am curious to know if I am running things correctly. I am on an M1 MacBook Pro using (primarily) Maschine MK3 and the Maschine software. I believe everything is updated (OS, Native Access, etc) and I have the apps (Kontakt, Maschine, Massive) configured to run in Rosetta. Reaktor does not allow me to run in Rosetta.

I am finding that certain "groups" within my expansions will mostly work but 1 or 2 pads are silent when I press them.

Earlier tonight I witnessed this with Faded Reels and also with Crate Cuts.

Is there a setting I should change so all sounds are correctly triggered?

-Erik

Comments

• DeepThumb
    DeepThumb Member Posts: 170 Advisor
    edited December 2022

Hi, I would check, whether sounds are loaded at all to these 'silent' pads and whether their volume is high.

Once I had a similar issue where loaded sounds on pads were actually silent. That could be solved by reinstalling that expansion.

However on a Mac everything is possible ... or not.

• Peter Harris
    Peter Harris Member Posts: 470 Pro

Can you specify a specific expansion and specific kit and which pads are silent? I'll check it out against mine.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,301 Expert
    edited December 2022
    • Check whether any sound is loaded
    • Check whether Pad is muted
    • Some Expansions use certain Pads or even whole Groups just for Effects.. thus they don’t produce any sound when pressed
  • fdwy_phto

Thanks for helping out. I'm on the Emotions Kit in Faded Reels and Pad #8 is silent. Can you try that on your end?

• Peter Harris
    edited December 2022

I see what's happening. That is a loop loaded into a pad using the audio module. (If you select that pad and press plug-in you can confirm that.)

To hear what it should sound like, you can load that same kit but select +patterns at the bottom of the screen before you do and then when you press play and toggle between the patterns, you'll hear the problematic pad each time it's triggered.

To avoid that on M+, try this: press record before you trigger a pad that is silent like that and you'll hear it this time because it'll trigger an event in the timeline. (That's why you'll hear those "silent" pads when you load with patterns because the patterns are triggering the pad with a note event.)

On an MK3, I think all you have to do is double click on the pattern timeline of the silent pad somewhere and the loop waveform will become visible and audible, activating it and playing it properly.

Hope that helps. 🙂

• fdwy_phto

Thanks - I am able to hear the sound/loop but only when I record it to the timeline. I appreciate your help. Is this normal behavior or is there a configuration issue on my end?

• Peter Harris

Yes, that's the normal behavior with the audio module believe it or not. Nothing wrong in action or configuration on your part.

As I said, you can also double-click somewhere on the pattern timeline for such pads and then they will be audible/visible.

This video by Jef Gibbons, one of the top Maschine youtubers, will help you understand what's happening and why the audio module is used instead of the sampler module in some situations (including some expansion kits like yours). See especially at 4:20 for this situation:

• Murat Kayi
    Murat Kayi Member Posts: 429 Pro

If you set it to the other loop mode (and I don't remember which one is needed) it plays as long as you press it, even without either the project playing or record running

• fdwy_phto

Thanks again! I've been using Maschine for a while now and I wasn't sure why I hadn't previously encountered this. I thought it was related to the apps running native in Mac OS instead of via Rosetta.