Kontakt 6: How to swarm/ostinato with scripts?

Murat Kayi
Murat Kayi Member Posts: 430 Pro
edited December 2022 in Scripting Workshop

Hi,

I was wondering if I could bring an existing Kontakt instrument with short articulations like for example "symphony essentials - woodwind - basson - stacc" to retrigger randomly as long as a key or multiple keys are held.

I read that you could achieve something like this with built-in Factory scripts. When I activate "Retrigger" or "Delay Sequencer", in the script editor, all that happens is the following:

• I can no longer access the normal GUI, even when I set the Script editor to "empty" in order to get back to how things were before
  • The instrument now only plays a full sustained articulation from start to end
  • no retriggering of any kind happens

I am unclear on how to tell the script that I want it to affect the short articulations. I can select the short articulations on the group editor, but I don't know how to connect the script to the selected groups, if that is what I need to do.

How can I get a retrigger or the delay sequencer factory script to do what I want? And when I am done, I would have to save the edited Kontakt instrument under a new name to not overwrite my standard instrument and directly access my new retrigger instrument, right?

Comments

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru

If you can't see the instrument GUI (performance view), you probably inserted a script in that slot. Use an empty slot.

You probably want an arpeggiator. If nothing sounds when you press a key, turn the mode to 'off' and back on. Adjust the rhythm.

• Murat Kayi
    edited December 2022

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

The script slot was empty before I inserted the retrigger script. I need to try a different slot and see if it makes a difference.

I am not looking for an arpeggiator. I want the single note of a melody or the multiple notes of a held chord to retrigger randomly or semi randomly (alternatively sequenced hence my attempt with the delay sequencer) as long as the key/s is/are pressed

And in an instrument with various articulations spread over groups I need to find a way to make the right articulations react to that retriggering only

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru

Sorry, I misread your post regarding your 'Symphony Essentials' instrument. I thought it was a VSL - Bassoon.

Beware of that Delay Sequencer. Panic means stop the out-of-control chaos. And from my limited past experience, sometimes it doesn't.

Sounds complicated. I"m gonna enjoy the rest of Christmas without any deep thought. haha

• Murat Kayi

OK, the script slot looked empty, but it wasn't. I realized when I loaded a retrigger script in the next slot and compared. So, GUI accessible, yay.

The retriggering is kinda boring, as it is too strict. The sequencing options work and then they don't, which means, I can try them once and when I try another key they stop working. I reload and try again and get another shot and then it does not work anymore.