Any way to turn off Komplete S Keyboard midi send when not in plugin mode?

BigPictureSound
BigPictureSound Member Posts: 47 Member
edited December 2022 in Maschine

I am trying to use my Komplete S Keyboard in midi mode in another DAW while also running Maschine software and toggling between plugin-mode, but the keyboard still triggers note data on any maschine channel in focus even when in midi mode.

I tried disabling midi "Focus mode" but then the Komplete S Keyboard stops working in both plugin mode and midi mode. Oddly enough, this does not affect the maschine mk3.

Is there a midi setting I missed that keeps plugin and midi mode midi data separate so I can use the device as a generic keyboard and not trigger a maschine channel?

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,966 mod

Can you maybe describe a bit more what DAW and the exact setup? What exactly do you want to achieve?

• BigPictureSound
    edited December 2022

Thanks for replying. Hopefully I can explain it better. Basically Komplete Keyboards have a midi mode toggle, however when Maschine software is running all devices connect to it (which is cool) but if I switch the keyboard to midi mode it still sends midi output to a Maschine software track (which ever is in focus), so I am not able to switch to midi mode to control another DAW (Bitwig, for instance) Without triggering the tracks in both software, simultaneously.

• BigPictureSound

Essentially I want to sometimes use the keyboard to control an external DAW instrument while also using Maschine MK3 to control Maschine instruments, rather than both controllers being locked to maschine at the same time.

• Uwe303

If you use maschine as plugin in your DAW, and i guess you do that, you have to use the daw midi routing/fucus to route the keyboard to an instrument other than the maschine plugin. You can also use midi channels to divide the instruments, that depends also a bit on your daw. Let's say you have 5 instruments other that maschine, you route then the keyboard to all 5 of them. The first instrument is set to midi ch 11, and you keyboard midi preset too. Next instrument is set to ch 12, so you have another midi preset in your keyboard set to send keys on midi ch 12. Means then, by switching midi presets on your keyboard you will control different Instruments.

• BigPictureSound

That might be my issue- I am trying to run each in standalone instead of VST and then use ableton Link to sync then. In this method, it seems Komplete S Keyboard always has a midi track in focus, but disabling that in MASCHINE settings causes it to stop sending midi in both plugin and midi mode. Could this be a bug?

• Uwe303

That focus setting is only applied to new projects as far as I remember. But I'm not sure if i quite get it, you can send midi from the keyboard to maschine stand alone and at the same time/parallel to your DAW? And if you disable focus that all gets screwed somehow? Sorry for the maybe stupid questions. Do you use any virtual midi cable between maschine and your DAW? But anyway i would use maschine inside the DAW and, like already said, use the DAW to route midi.

• BigPictureSound

Yes, exactly, and that’s a good way to describe it - midi is being sent in parallel from Komplete S keyboard to both maschine “focus channel” and midi out channel (1 and 2), so if in my DAW it triggers the track (intended) but also MASCHINE focus track (unintended). There is no way to disable the midi connection in MASCHINE settings without also disconnecting Komplete S as a MASCHINE controller.

pulled my hair out for a bit trying to get it to work but no dice. It seems to be all or nothing.

On the other hand, Maschine will ONLY send to designated midi channel when in midi mode and not also maschines focus channel.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,319 mod

@BigPictureSound Forgive me for checking this thread a bit late after the party. If in your setup you are working with Maschine standalone, if you deselect the Komplete Kontrol keyboard as a MIDI input in the MIDI preferences then it should stop sending MIDI to the MAschine software. I'm sorry if this point had been raised earlier and I missed it.

• BigPictureSound

Future self circling back - somehow I missed your reply. I'll check out your suggestion thx