Toybox Reaktor Blocks

bolabo
bolabo Member Posts: 97 Advisor
edited October 2022 in Reaktor

Hey Folks, I wan't able to find a thread in the the Reaktor area for Toybox Blocks packs so I'm starting this one (I'm also trying to avoid crossposting from other areas).

You can post questions and issues related to the Toybox packs here :)

Comments

• bolabo

BTW for people using Discord, there's a Reaktor blocks discord server here, for general discussions about Reaktor blocks:

and the main Reaktor discord is here, which also has a section for Blocks discussions:

• bolabo

Also checkout all the latest videos and tutorials here:

https://www.youtube.com/@toyboxaudio

• ns10m
    ns10m Member Posts: 5 Member

Thanks David for setting this up. I'm new to your blocks so bound to have some idiot questions. Hopefully there will be others out there willing to share.

Thought I'd mention, I've worked with other modular software app (all shall remain nameless:) and felt a bit underwhelmed. What got me into Toybox stuff is simple, it sounds good. Now I need to figure out how to get what I want from it, so all help appreciated. Present mission is sequencers.....Cheers all laters

• bolabo

Great! :) Yeah ask me any questions and I'll do my best to answer :)

We have just added 2 brand new blocks to the free Toybox User Blocks pack: The Flexi Oscillator is a versatile high-quality analog-modelled oscillator with multiple FM and waveform warping modes. The OTA Filter is based on a Roland design with an improved juicy analog sound. The block can morph between Low Pass, Band Pass and High Pass filter shapes (A demo rack is included in the pack):

Download the User Blocks pack for free here -->

• ns10m

Been playing with the Sample Pack. Noticed using the Granular Sample Player with certain drum loops (commercial ones) but not all, the transient at the loop point fades in or is weak/missing. Possibly something todo with the way these loops are prepared? However using the identical loop this doesn't happen with the Sample Player Lite, Sample Player or Loop Player. I connected a reset (from a clock) to all devices. For example using a 4 bar loop setting the clock reset to multiples of 2 the loop is seamless until 64 (total length of the loop). Then the transient is missing at the loop point with the Granular Player but not the others? BTW whilst doing this, the play cursor has gone in the Granular Player but not the other sample blocks. Tried various playback modes.....am I missing something? Cheers

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 761 Guru

Try hitting the 'settings' gear icon to go to the back end controls, then turn down the 'fade' knob to shorten the attack and decay parameters for the grains. This should reduce how much of the initial transient you lose to the attack of the grain envelope

• ns10m

Cheers colB thanks to the tip. Tried that still not right. It's not a big one for me right now, just found it odd. If I set the loop point earlier in the loop, happy days. It's only at the end point? The other thing I found odd was other sample blocks didn't do it with the same sample and loop point ? I'll be trying some other loop libraries for the madness of it, but don't want to disappear down the habit hole on this.

BTW I have more questions but I'm not sure where is the best place to be asking, here, Reaktor Blocks or Discord?

• bolabo
    edited February 2023

Granular synthesis can often mush up transients because of the way it works. It slices the audio into little pieces (grains) and then plays multiple copies of these pieces, overlapping them at different pitches etc with little fades to avoid clicking. If the fade lines-up with a transient then the transient will get lost. This will often happen at the start where the first grain will generally line up with the first transient.

As ColB suggested, you can minimise this transient loss by adjusting the grain size (smaller will be better) and the fade length and shape.

You could also try trimming your loops so they don’t start on an important transient.

The other blocks you that mentioned don’t use granular synthesis so they don’t have that problem.

• ns10m

Sorry for delay, little time this week to bleep n blop. Thanks both for your input. I should have know better, I've read Microsound by Curtis and even built my own custom Granular device in Max, back in the day when I had the patience. I get it. Two points may be of interest.

Whilst troubleshooting I complicated my self further by adding a trig to the Reset port on the Gran block. Using clocks and ramps n the like, hours of fun, but then confused myself about the transient loss issue I started from! I doubt I would have done this if I'd not been working in the blocks world, so thanks ToyBox. Bolabo thanks for heads up, re trimming loops, will give it a go. Combining that with Reset trigger of the block, I'm sure I'll be having fun.

I also noticed, toggle the Stereo switch in the cogs page make a difference to the character of the sound (not the timing). I can only think this is a mono/stereo toggle. Unless I've missed something there is no Pan Jitter.....might be nice in an update :)

• bolabo
    edited March 2023

Great! :)

toggle the Stereo switch in the cogs page make a difference to the character of the sound (not the timing).

It should only affect the how the grains are panned but may affect the tone due to this, depending on how you have the outputs connected.

There's a Granular Sampler block in the free Toybox User Blocks pack that has a bit more control over the stereo mode, including randomised panning, you should try that out too.

• ns10m

You're right I was using the other Gran Block explains a lot.

I've not much play time recently, will report back in more detail soon.

Could you help me with an install query here? Can't find my issue on the ToyBox site's FAQ.

I'm installing on a new machine and Native Access has Locate as the only option for my ToyBox products. NI tell me I need the third party products on my system to Locate to. There is no user section at ToyBox for me to do download from. Where do I go from here ? FYI I have working on an other machine my all ToxBox stuff.