Beatport Link audio quality?

laserbeak
laserbeak Member Posts: 85 Member
edited January 2022 in Traktor Software & Hardware

Is it 256kbps?

I prefer FLACs and I'd probably be doing the artists a favor, since I buy from bandcamp.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• valerianmengsk
    valerianmengsk Member Posts: 20 Member
    Answer ✓

It is AAC 256kbps or 128kbps. I got this from a Google Search. Infinitely faster than asking on any forum of any kind.

• zephry
    zephry Member Posts: 566 Pro
    Answer ✓

Smart to ask, because what you might not be aware of is the aac is different from just regular 128 or 256 kbps.

128aac is about 192kbps

256aac is about 320kbps

From what I remember reading anyway.

Also I have noticed when using Beatport streaming vs. my manually added tracks. It seems to loose some information in the first couple beats resulting in the downbeat gridmarker being placed 4 beats in. If the track starts exactly on a kick. For tracks with a melodic or maybe hi hat intro the marker is still set on the first kick.

I tried manually changing the marker, but that results in the grid being just slightly off. But so far the grid has still started on the one. So tracks still line up.

Some tracks (rarely) do end up offbeat but the grid is mostly correct for me, no different from just my use of Traktor.

Hope this helps, BTW the streaming is so awesome and I have a ton of previous purchase now available to download and add to one hard drive. 1300 tracks lol

Answers

• valerianmengsk
    valerianmengsk Member Posts: 20 Member
    Answer ✓

It is AAC 256kbps or 128kbps. I got this from a Google Search. Infinitely faster than asking on any forum of any kind.

• laserbeak

you're a genius.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin
    edited January 2022

What's the fun in Googling when you can get a sarcastic answer here right 😛 Thanks for the answer @valerianmengsk!

• zephry
    zephry Member Posts: 566 Pro
    Answer ✓

Smart to ask, because what you might not be aware of is the aac is different from just regular 128 or 256 kbps.

128aac is about 192kbps

256aac is about 320kbps

From what I remember reading anyway.

Also I have noticed when using Beatport streaming vs. my manually added tracks. It seems to loose some information in the first couple beats resulting in the downbeat gridmarker being placed 4 beats in. If the track starts exactly on a kick. For tracks with a melodic or maybe hi hat intro the marker is still set on the first kick.

I tried manually changing the marker, but that results in the grid being just slightly off. But so far the grid has still started on the one. So tracks still line up.

Some tracks (rarely) do end up offbeat but the grid is mostly correct for me, no different from just my use of Traktor.

Hope this helps, BTW the streaming is so awesome and I have a ton of previous purchase now available to download and add to one hard drive. 1300 tracks lol

• laserbeak

That's the reason I ask (and I asked mainly to get a conversation like this going, of course i could have googled...) I'm wondering if it's worth it to go with this service or just keep buying/collecting my FLACs.

• Wyley
    Wyley Member Posts: 239 Pro
    edited February 2022

Most of my music collection are from cd rips in the aiff format stored on external hds. However I made a 256aac version of my collection because 15 years ago internal hard drives for laptops were $$$. I use the aac version still since iTunes/apple music uses the format and labels from the carribean/West Indies send me pre-releases in that format.

I did tests between aiff/aac/mp3 formats awhile back and found that the 256aac format was acceptable relative to mp3s people were and are still using. I did the test using my sound system that has a frequency range 26khz - 30hz and found that the resolution of the compressed formats over 16khz was lower and the shockwaves from the bass felt a little dull compared to the sharp hit inside my body from the cdda/aiff. It's not much of a difference to the ears but the feel is noticeably different if you a/b. The aac format is good but not a good as the original disc. Mp3's are no good.

• laserbeak

Yeah, probably just going to stick to my FLACs. Thanks :)

• Wyley
    Wyley Member Posts: 239 Pro

Flacs were an adhoc solution at a time when hard drive space costed $$$. If you want the best quality non compressed is the only way to go.

• laserbeak

Yeah, probably a good idea. not sure if i want a drive full of big ass waves though 😂