Kontakt playback crackle/overload question

Maarten Franken
Maarten Franken Member Posts: 6 Member

I have Kontakt and the Factory Library, which I use for orchestral purposes. I keep having problems with clicks and crackle and on the performance display, I can see the Disk level is going into the red zone, so it's clear what the cause of the unwanted sounds is.

So I thought to fix this by moving the Kontakt Factory Library to its own drive. The Factory Library is one product, it installs into one folder by default, so I assume it's meant to be used as such and run from one drive. This library exists for quite a few years (the manual's copyrights are from 2016), when transfer speeds were lower than they are today, and I assume it was meant to work properly in those days. I'm using Samsung T5 external SSD (540MB/s), over a USB-C/Thunderbolt connection, for both drives of my sample library, on a Mac Pro 2019, 12-core, with 48GB RAM. Both drives are connected to their own USB port, directly on the computer, no splitter is used.

I dont have the idea I'm overdoing it with what I ask. It's mainly an orchestral library and I use a pretty standard orchestral setup: 5 string sections (violin 1, violin 2, viola, etc), 4 wind sections, 4 brass sections, 1 percussion and 4 choir sections. Everything else is on the other drive and is used with, at most, 5 or 6 instruments at a time, and I havent noticed any overloads for the Kontakt instance running these additions. There's nothing to take away resources from the Factory Library drive, so I assume that the conditions should fine for the Factory Library to do what it's intended to do: play the orchestra.

Could someone advise me on how to get rid of the overloads problems?

Best Answer

Answers