which HDD for all my songs

The Sarge
The Sarge Member Posts: 125 Helper
edited December 2022 in Traktor Software & Hardware

hi there,

I was looking for a buit-in HDD for Traktor (I´ll start Xmas with it ;) ) and am wondering that most of the big ones only have 5400RPM and if they have 7200RPM they are much more expansive

so I have to decide now, which Software gets which HDD:

7200 RPM for Cubase, K13U, MASCHINE and 5400 RPM for my songs prepared for Traktor or vice versa ?

how do you do it?

SSD in the size above 2TB (1,81 usable) is out of my range till war ends and prices in Europe get "normal" again

thanks in advance

The Sarge!

Comments

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited December 2022

Built-in as internal?

Hummm Where I am at in Europe a typical 2TB 2.5" SSD 5400 RPM will cost about 80-90Eur and the cheaper SSD's with the same capacity are about 130-150Eur, even some NVMES which are much faster than normal SSD's. For reputable brands like Samsung and such the price is much higher for 2TB tho.

Personally, I'd prefer an SSD even if from a not-so-reputable brand because if your using the laptop to DJ the likelihood of your laptop bag dropping to the floor, someone in the booth knocking the computer down or whatever is relatively high and a mechanical HD is sensitive... One fall might = a dead HD.

I have multiple dead HD's that never left home, and never had any dead SSD's.

Up to you tho.

• The Sarge
    The Sarge Member Posts: 125 Helper
    edited December 2022

thanks @D-One

thanks for fast answer

I´m just working at home (too old^^) and I´m workin with a typical Desktop-PC (the one I due my DAWs too, Cubase & Maschine) so there´s no downfalling or stress in the booth

"For reputable brands" -> we should buy & use RELAIBLE drives for our hobby especially when playing in a club/festival and dont want to say to the audience "sorry Partypeople, the set is over, cause I bought a SSD fromtotal unknown brand but it was CHEAP" 🤑

and yes, I´m also not the guy who always pay the brands (and their PR-stars behind it, like Apple etc.)

"I have multiple dead HD's that never left home, and never had any dead SSD's." -> that´s an answer I can really work with, especially as I (tried) turn on a only for backup-used-external HDD this week and it only says a long "piiiiiep" and than nothing more happened although LED is on. So could you please recommend some SSD-brands?

btw: what is this mentioned drive: a typical 2TB 2.5" SSD 5400 RPM ? (read carefully^^) sorry for joking about this

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓

Oh, if it's just for home use then I guess go for it? I've had computers since the 90's and if I can resume my experience with rust drives with just one pic, then here:

All dead. In the early 2000's when I was young and stupid not to have backups I had to pay 1200$ to have a HD drive repaired in a lab... Never again. Others might have never had any issues tho.

So could you please recommend some SSD-brands?

Personally, I'd rather buy a reputable brand 1TB SSD drive now, and another one later when more $ is available than go for a cheap 2TB, especially on a desktop where you can have a bunch of drives. I got 4 SSD's on my system right now, altho I'm not really a representation of the average user.

The cheapest brand I have actual long experience with is Crucial (mx500), had the drive for 7 years I think, and no issues, still aren't exactly cheap at 150-170$ for 2TB. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-MX500-CT2000MX500SSD1-NAND-Internal/dp/B003J5JB12

I bought a WD Blue SN570 (nvme sdd) a couple of years ago and so far so good, same price as the above for 2TB. At 2TB the price gap is smaller, while at 1TB there's more options.

If my budget was super tight but I really needed 2TB ina single drive I'd go for a Kingston 2TB 2280 NVMe (130$) or a Kioxia Exceria (same price), this last one is a more recent brand, used a lot by gamers and people seem happy with them, but might not have proven the test of time yet... if your desktop is too old you might not have an M.2 slot tho... That will diminish your budget options.

btw: what is this mentioned drive: a typical 2TB 2.5" SSD 5400 RPM ? (read carefully^^) sorry for joking about this

Western Digital WD blue is one of the more popular consumer drives, this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-SATA-Hard-Drive/dp/B079BQS5WQ/

At the same price, you have a bunch of stuff from Seagate, Toshiba, etc...