Is the plan REALLY to install all libraries under one folder???

lahatte
lahatte Member Posts: 92 Member
edited December 2022 in Native Access

I hate that I have to remember to go into Preferences every time I need to install a new library in order to set to installation folder. It is VERY non-intuitive. I should be able to set the download location via the item to be installed, and NOT a global setting.

As best I can tell Native Access creates a subfolder named for the library. Thus, if someone was to choose "Install All" then ALL libraries would get piled up under one folder, regardless of the library vendor. That really seems absurd. I organize my libraries by vendor, and I am pretty sure a lot of other people do as well.

Please add the ability to choose the install location via the specific item being installed, and NOT via a global setting.

Thanks.

P.S. This version 3 of NA is still dog slow compared to the earlier version.

Tagged:

Comments

• MaikR
    MaikR Member Posts: 165 Advisor

Insightful... so you set a different location in global settings every time you install a new library? In that way all your libraries have there own specified location? Does Native Access update everything nicely with respect to those separate locations, too?

If that's the case, then I will reinstall (almost) everything. Because now it's all in one mayor NI Libraries folder on one external SSD, with all instruments installed on my MacBook's internal disk. But I would love to split the libraries over multiple, external drives. I thought when changing the global setting Native Access would relocate all previously installed libraries to the new location.

And yes, it would be much more user friendly if one could choose a custom path upon install.

• Reefius
    Reefius Member Posts: 244 Pro

I have libraries and NI Expansions on 2 different external SSD's and it works perfectly. I like to have all my Expansions together in one folder, without anything else.

It's just a bit annoying that I need to change the Content Location path in NA every time, depending of what I'm installing (library or expansion).

But it works perfectly, even for updates. Once something is installed NA remembers its location so updates go to the correct paths. Maschine and Komplete Kontrol also work perfectly, no issues with missing files.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

Hi @lahatte this week the Native Access product team is sharing some insights on their work and is open for any questions. If you're curious about the reasoning behind the behavior above, feel free to drop your question in our first instalment of Dev Talks here.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

@lahatte

You may select SW in NA by Vendors, I guess. And select all (by the same vendor), set the installation path. Not that hard job... IMHO better way than indicating path for every single Library...

• MaikR

After the insight by this posting by @Reefius I simply moved all installed libraries to the desired SSD and into a logical folder structure (libraries, expansions, orchestra, etc.). After that I've started NA and simply could use relocate, pointing to the different directories. Worked like a charm.

• Kubrak

Yes, that is another way to go. It just takes time, if one has 200+ items to relocate one by one. I do the both, your system and the one I have described.

Either way, if there are updates to libraries, NA installs them to locations where are they installed. So, no need to worry and change installation path.

• lahatte

I don't see how that is helpful when I have a new library to install and the "default" path is specified in the global settings and is NOT what I need. That is the problem.

• Kubrak

It is one more mouse click to change the global path, comparing to your suggestion, which would bother at least some users, me for sure.

Yes, it is not easy to please all...

• lahatte

But it is not intuitive. An option to set the install path at the time of install is typical.

• Kubrak

And what if one installs 100 plugins? It asks for each plugin, or just once? What if one installs few plugins and updates others? What if one just updates?

• MaikR

A default installation location in global settings is perfect.

And, it should have a 'move to custom location' on a per plugin basis. Additionally it would be nice to have a multi-select option to move multiple libraries at once from within the software.

They should put a bit of effort into this, because NI Sales loves it when you buy a lot of instruments with libraries and expansions, and it's arrogant or otherwise naive to think everyone has one big install location to store it all. The routine seems to be already available in NA, but it's lacking an option in the user interface.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia Member Posts: 3,612 Expert
    edited December 2022

What is needed is to be able to set 2 locations - 1 for sample content, which often takes up a lot of space and for me should go on an external SSD, and and separate one for presets and ensembles, which should really be on the main disk. At the moment it just places everything in one global location which is daft. Having to constantly change paths also makes no sense, and as it is hard keeping up with where stuff has gone in practice it is all ending up on my SSD even if it is just Massive X presets or Reaktor ensembles, which is not ideal.

• iNate
    iNate Member Posts: 151 Advisor
    edited January 2023

Native Access should have granular install locations for each of the following:

1. Kontakt Libraries
    2. Reaktor Ensembles
    3. Synth Expansions and Factory Libraries (e.g. Massive X)

Right now, if you install Komplete to an SSD, you basically have to have the SSD plugged in at all times - even if you don't plan on using a Kontakt Library - because the Synths, Synth Expansions and Factory Library for products like Massive and Massive X are all put in that directory. All the REAKTOR Ensembles are installed to that directory, as well.

You have to plan [ahead of time] before installing the bundle, and Native Instruments doesn't inform users of these fundamental installation considerations.

If Native Access had working Uninstall (Arturia, UVI) or Move (Steinberg Library Manager) functions on macOS, this would be less problematic. I'd just note which products I need to move, Uninstall Them, Reset the Installation Directory, Install them and [finally] switch it back to the external SSD when I am done.

The OBVIOUS workaround for now is to simply move the Folders to the other directory you want and then use Native Access to "Relocate" them. I'll probably try this with the Massive X Factory Library, Synth Expansions and REAKTOR Ensembles on my MBP tomorrow.

• iNate
    iNate Member Posts: 151 Advisor

If you've already installed, and realize that you are now effectively dongled when running a DAW on macOS, then it's not as simple as "one more mouse click" to remedy the issue.

It's definitely easier on Windows, because the installation for everything is logged into the control panel and they all have their own uninstallers.

Also, there is nothing bothersome about granular install paths. You can always just copy and past the same path into all fields. Talking about "one more mouse click" and then complaining about a legitimately useful and IMO very necessary change is... beyond ironic.

• Kubrak

@iNate

If one installed and wants to rearrange, just rearrange it using File Manager ot whatewer tool for content manipulation. And than use one by one relocate in NA. You may copy and paste the desired path.

I have done it on Win in past when I wanted put Expansions separately from Kontakt Libraries and sort Kontakt Libraries by producer.