Analog Dreams: download fails in NA 3.0.1 (but everything else downloads and installs - via VPN)

justsimplyme
justsimplyme Member Posts: 7 Member

I actually have 2 issues with Native Access right now. I understand that NI is having load issues with their servers, but...

The main one is that "Analog Dreams" (which I own) just will not download. The error is a generic "download failed". And no, it's nothing to do with disk space or my network; I just purchased NI Picked Nylon Guitar (which is much larger at 6.4GB) and it downloaded and installed OK in a few minutes. So, all my other products are OK, except for "Analog Dreams".

NI needs to either fix NA/servers or give us back manual ISO file installers.

The second issue with NA right now is that (once again) it will NOT download anything at all unless I use a VPN to "pretend" I am in Germany (I am actually in Australia). No it's not my network settings - NI just won't allow downloads to Australia (and probably not to some other countries).

I complained about this (the VPN thing) months ago - the issue comes and goes, depending on something being wrong with the NI server(s).

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

@justsimplyme Sorry, I should have explained more on how to mount an iso file. Once downloaded, you need to click on the iso file, the installer should show on your desktop, open, then right-click the pkg file, choose open, when the message "...installer can't be opened" choose Open. It's the same on Ventura, we never had any issue, we tested this installer again, it's working fine. Sorry you had to go into such complicated territorry, just a right-click would have made the difference.

Now, regarding Analog Dreams, it's normal to have a 1.0 and 2.0. Whan using Analog Dreams, if this missing samples message pops up, simply click on ignore this time.

Answers

• Jeremy_NI

@justsimplyme Have you tried with the latest version of Native Access (3.1.0)? Here's a link:

It addresses a lot of issues, especially regarding MacOS Ventura.

In the case that doesn't work, here is an installer for Analog Dreams: Analog Dreams

About the issue with the Australian network vs Native Access, there was only you and another user in the forum mentioning that issue until now. We'll keep an eye on the issue and report it to the devs.

• justsimplyme

Hi @Jeremy_NI ,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Sadly, more bad news. The new version of NA (3.1.0) still won't download "Analog Dreams". Same "download error".

I downloaded the ISO file you kindly provided, which is 3.83GB (in macOS terms), so that seems correct.

I cannot see any way to install from the ISO file using Native Access (please correct me if I'm wrong), so I presumed I could just mount the ISO then run the installer file.

I can mount the ISO file, and inside are a Mac and a Windows installer. But... both installers are tiny (2-3MB)! Trying to open the macOS PKG file using macOS results in an error that it is unsigned (see screenshots). Then things get really strange...

As I'm a macOS expert, I used some tools to examine the PKG file. Some tools say that the PKG is in fact signed by NI. But then they say that the actual 3GB of sample data are missing (see screenshots). I also tried to remove all security and quarantine attributes using the command-line "xattr" in macOS - no change.

Can you please pass on this response, with the attached screenshots, to your developers?

It looks to me that there is something rather wrong with the whole "Analog Dreams" packaging.

FYI, I am using an M1 Max (Apple Silicon) MacBook Pro.

Regards, M.

• justsimplyme

Hi again @Jeremy_NI

I eventually managed to manually install "Analog Dreams" using your ISO file. The following may be useful to other customers with macOS:

1) On macOS Ventura, at least, the PKG installer will not work because the data files in the ISO image are hidden (I'm not sure why this should matter to the macOS installer). So, after mounting the ISO, go into the folder and press "SHIFT+CMD+." to show the 3 hidden files (see 1st screenshot).

2) Copy the 4 PKG files from the read-only ISO image to a local macOS folder (eg. "Downloads").

3) Right-click the main PKG installer, and choose "Open" (you need to do this twice as macOS doesn't accept the file signature).

4) The installer will only install the data files into "/Users/Shared/Analog Dreams Library" (you cannot choose). You can manually move this folder to an external SSD as I did.

5) Start Native Access, which will license the product; if you have moved the library folder you will need to select "Repair" and choose the external SSD folder.

6) Native Access then tells you that there is an update for "Analog Dreams". Bizarrely, NA will download and install this update, but still won't (re)install the full product!

7) After the update, opening Kontakt 7 shows that there are now TWO instruments - "Analog Dreams" and "Analog Dreams 2.0" (from thje update). The former opens and runs fine; the latter opens with an error saying that 260 .NCW files cannot be found (but still works, just without these presets). See the 2nd screenshot.

SUMMARY: On macOS Ventura 13.1, it appears impossible to install "Analog Dreams" correctly (and not at all using Native Access). To be fair, NI support last night informed me that hardly any of their software is guaranteed to work under Ventura (certainly not NA nor Kontakt)!

I would appreciate any further information or help. Regards, M.

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

@justsimplyme Sorry, I should have explained more on how to mount an iso file. Once downloaded, you need to click on the iso file, the installer should show on your desktop, open, then right-click the pkg file, choose open, when the message "...installer can't be opened" choose Open. It's the same on Ventura, we never had any issue, we tested this installer again, it's working fine. Sorry you had to go into such complicated territorry, just a right-click would have made the difference.

Now, regarding Analog Dreams, it's normal to have a 1.0 and 2.0. Whan using Analog Dreams, if this missing samples message pops up, simply click on ignore this time.

• justsimplyme

Thank you @Jeremy_NI

• KashatLast2
    KashatLast2 Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

Is there a way to get access to other manual installers for licenses that I own? This worked for Analog Keys but the other ones I'm missing won't download, to begin with. So I can't use this method for the others.

• Jeremy_NI

@KashatLast2 If you have issues downloading your products please contact my colleagues here: http://bit.ly/NIsupport_install In the eventuality it's not fixable, they can provide installers.

• KashatLast2
    KashatLast2 Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
  • Langley Gerrard
    Langley Gerrard Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Same problem here. Analog Dreams fails to download. Have tried many times.