Monark Cutoff Seems Like It's on an LFO

Patski29
Patski29 Member Posts: 4 Newcomer

Hi, I'm using a Monark bass preset from a Maschine pack that I like (Everlasting under Magnetic Coast if curious) and am noticing something weird. It seems like the filter cutoff is somehow connected to an LFO. I have it set basically at 9 o'clock, but as I'm playing my midi loop back, it seems the filter cutoff is being turned down (low passing more, almost to where 8 o'clock would be). It's obviously not actually moving on it's own, but the sound is drowning out. I experimented by just pressing one note over and over and it seems to acting the same way. I really like the tone of the bass that I have, and not too keen on when it low passes more and takes away the top end grit... and then it seems like it's opening itself back up. It's almost like a slow pulsating effect, going from my setting to completely low passed and only hearing the sub... then reopening.

I've tried removing the drift and the leak completely, but it's still doing the same thing. I don't have any oscillator set to LO, and I have all mod wheel switches off, and key tracking on OSC 3 turned on. So, essentially I'm not running any oscillator as an LFO. I have no idea what's going on. Someone on another forum suggested it might be phase cancellation across oscillators if two of them are using the same freq curve. Well, I've tried turning off all OSC except one and it's still doing the same thing.

Any idea what's happening and how to fix it?

Comments

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert
    edited December 2022

Page 18 of the Monark manual

Is key-tracking set to on? Try to use a key-travking with off function. Is the lfo active always?

Everlasting under Magnetic Coast

I don't found a snapshot with this name in the bass section

Is the ModWheel on it's lowest pos?

• chk071
    chk071 Member Posts: 356 Pro

Yes, key tracking for the filter cutoff is probably activated.

• Patski29

Key Tracking in the filter section is turned off and my mod wheel is turned all the way down. Here are pics of the settings.

• Paule
    edited December 2022

In my Monark isn't your sound. Do you bought some sounds from third party?

I rebuild your sounds (draw in Monark) and attach it here.

View B looks different - okay

It's an instrument snapshot bank with 2 snapshots: Init and Everlasting. Load it in ism please. If it is okay add it in ensemble and use it.

• Patski29

I'm using this through the Komplete Kontrol plugin, which compiles all the sounds from all NI instruments. This particular Monark sound is a patch from a Maschine Expansion called Magnetic Coast. You can see it from the bank browser on the left in red.

• chk071

Is it also doing that when you completely turn the contour to zero?

• Patski29

Yes, unfortunately it is. The contour is functioning like it should both + and - , but even when I crank the contour for + it still has moments where it's dropping the cutoff freq. I decided to put headphones on to see if maybe it was phase cancellation in my studio or something weird like that. What it sounds like to me is a very slow comb filter... and then it hit me, it must be some sort of phase cancellation because that's exactly what a comb filter is. And this makes total sense for what I've been hearing. But I'm hearing it in my headphones too. So, it must be inside the Monark vst itself somehow.

Is this something that anyone has encountered before? A user on Reddit said they experienced it when the two oscillators are using the same waveshape in the same range. But, I'm getting it as soon as I add a second oscillater no matter the waveshape. Is this just normal behavior for Monark?

• chk071
    edited December 2022

Frankly, if it only happens in that specific preset, then I can't imagine that it's a general thing, I never noticed anything similar, and I frequently use Monark.

Maybe it's one of your MIDI controllers freaking out. Potentiometers can become shaky like that.

• Paule
    edited December 2022

Do you compare my View B with yours. In my snapshot is no lfo mod.

I don't own Komplete Kontrol - there is no need for me.

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 761 Guru

iirc, there is some subtle modulation introduced in some parts of monark to simulate analogue instability. Normally these won't be obvious, but if you have hit a sensitive boundary situation, they might be...

Not sure if this is your problem though. I don't have Monark myself so can't check.