"toggle" mode on controller editor

Plutonic Lab
Plutonic Lab Member Posts: 7 Member
edited November 2022 in Maschine

In Controller Editor using Maschine is midi mode, Is there a way to make Toggle behave like a simple on/off. I can't seem to make it work without it requiring 2 taps for on and 2 taps for off. I've resorted to using Gate mode, but that mode doesn't keep the button lit as gate is momentary.

Anyone else experienced this?

Best Answer

• Plutonic Lab
    Answer ✓

Hey thought I'd get back to this thread just to say it was solved by assigning "toggle" to the CC command in the UA Midi Console mapping software as well as the NI Controller Editor.

All good now.

Answers

• 6xes
    6xes Member Posts: 630 Pro

i believe the software that you are using the Toggle button with... has to handle the events correctly, so check inside the software in question and see if it supports a toggle mode

• Plutonic Lab

Hi thanks for the answer.

Yes it does, I'm controling Cubase and also Apollo Console. other midi controllers do this no problem.

It's an issue I'm having specifically with Controller Editor and Maschine mk3

• 6xes

try using the trigger mode (CC) as opposed to midi notes

• Plutonic Lab

Hi

Yes I'm using CC

• 6xes
    edited November 2022

if trigger mode does not toggle the switch on the software then the issue is with the software..

if however you are trying to get the LED to give the correct feedback on whether it is lit or not... then the software needs to support midi feedback ... back to the Maschine deivce

• Plutonic Lab

toggle mode works fine. but not really what I need.

• Plutonic Lab

Sorry "trigger"

• Plutonic Lab

Toggle is what I want, to see midi feedback on say a mute switch, I need to know it's muted by looking at the corresponding "lit" light without looking at the software.

Thanks for your help anyway

• 6xes
    edited November 2022

its possible that the feedback is being routed to another device... if thats the case, you may only be able to route feedback to one device only. unsure if you could use a virtual midi device as a go between *shrugs

• Plutonic Lab
    Answer ✓

Hey thought I'd get back to this thread just to say it was solved by assigning "toggle" to the CC command in the UA Midi Console mapping software as well as the NI Controller Editor.

All good now.

• Kuzcobcn
    Kuzcobcn Member Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2022

Hi!

I have the same problem using a MASCHINE MIKRO Mk2 to launch the sounds. I write the steps I'm following in order to see if anyone can help me ;)

1.I set the pad as "Toggle" anc "Control Change" type in CONTROLLER EDITOR:

2.I set a contition to the trigger of thah pad in BATTERY4

I get the pad changing color as a "toggle" but i dont get the sound launched in BATTERY4. It seems nothing is happening.

NOTE: if I set teh pad as "Note" in CONTROLLER EDITOR it works perfect, but i don't see the color of the pad changing when the sound is playing.

Any thaughts about how to solve it?

Thanks!

• 6xes
  • 6xes
    edited December 2022

also why would you need the colour to change when hitting the Pad?? it will only default back to the original colour once it is triggered??

CC based "Toggle" is for switching states and remaining in its last state (CC's have no note value assigned) which is why you probably hear nothing. So depending on whether the VST has internally assigned CC's to a note value.. you generally wouldn't use CC to trigger notes

although a CC can trigger sounds.. sounds and notes are 2 different elements in the context of VSTs

Notes are generally "gated" midi when using them with PADs/keyboards.. meaning the LED/note will remain "ON" & return back to their original "off" state upon release

Trigger sends a "on" midi signal but immediately return a zero or "off" signal... unlike the "gated" midi Note which can hold its state "on" until button or Pad is released at which point a note "off" signal is sent!

• 6xes
    edited December 2022

some little tips for using the control editor.

range over multiple pads and selecting a channel will change all the pads to that channel

when ranging over multiple pads.. you can change the note which changes all of them... but then you can deselect one of them(using the Ctrl) ..then carrying on the note range adjustments(test it youll see it will save you time)

have fun mapping!!