Why is the NI list showing up twice? Why is there a separate NI (GmbH) list?

Murat Kayi
Murat Kayi Member Posts: 429 Pro
edited February 2022 in Maschine

Hi,

when loading plugins with the dropdown list, I see

native instruments

Native Instruments (GmbH)

The latter only contains a VST3 version of Super 8. The upper has a bunch of doubles, one for VST, one for VST3. Does everyones list look like this?

I have the feeling, this whole installation is kinda messed up. Native Access shows a few plugins as "needs repair", because it says it can't find the 32bit plugin which I don't care for. But I can actually load all of my plugins. Except of when I start Komplete Kontrol itself within a host (Reaper). There, Komplete Kontrol says it can't find ANY of my plugins. What is going on, I wonder.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓

Yes, that is what my list looks like. The Repair issue has to do with NA not removing some Registry entries when updating plugins and it still thinks there should be a 32 bit version… will post the Reg key to look at after I verify. For the reaper thing, check to make sure the versions of the VST and Standalone KK match. If not, that could be the issue.

Edit: Here is the registry key and entry to delete to get rid of the "Repair" indicator for products that no longer have a 32 bit Vst.

the registry key is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Native Instruments\{product name here}

in node for the product, look for an entry called "InstallVSTDir" and delete it (backup the registry first just in case) and NA will no longer indicate that the product requires Repair.

• Murat Kayi
    Answer ✓

Actually, the previous title reflected better on what this question is about. The question is not only about the second list (GmbH), but also the first list with everything showing up twice. I wouldn't be able to say how I think the list should look like ...but I just wanted to check if the 32bit plugins problem, KK bot being able to find my plugins and this messy list were sort of connected.

But it's true, it's cosmetic, especially since the three problems were not connected in any way

Answers

• Blindeddie
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓

Yes, that is what my list looks like. The Repair issue has to do with NA not removing some Registry entries when updating plugins and it still thinks there should be a 32 bit version… will post the Reg key to look at after I verify. For the reaper thing, check to make sure the versions of the VST and Standalone KK match. If not, that could be the issue.

Edit: Here is the registry key and entry to delete to get rid of the "Repair" indicator for products that no longer have a 32 bit Vst.

the registry key is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Native Instruments\{product name here}

in node for the product, look for an entry called "InstallVSTDir" and delete it (backup the registry first just in case) and NA will no longer indicate that the product requires Repair.

• Murat Kayi

Hi thanks,

I am in the midst of checking this out. But apart from that is the list affected by this, too? Or is that actually the way it is supposed to look for now?

• Murat Kayi

Ok,

I did what I'd totally scold my old man for if he reported this to me - I edited my registry based on the instructions of a stranger on the internet, LMAO!

But it made sense and it also worked. Thanks a lot!

How and where would I check for advice like this apart from the forums? Or in other words: How did you know?

The list however still looks the same and is not making a good impression. It looks unstable. Or slightly crazy.

• Blindeddie

This would not fix the list...it "Is what it is" currently as there are VST2 and VST3 Plugins available but no way to exclude or categorize etc. Can't tell you how I Knew about the registry, I just did... 🙄🙄 and this is a relatively new find, and like I said NI is aware of it...when a fix will be implemented, I do not know.

• Murat Kayi

lol, I understand. I basically just wanted to make sure I did not overlook a publically accessible source of wisdom that merited a RTFM for me. ☺️

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

@Murat Kayi You're not the only one (and probably not the last) with this question: Why does Super8 show up as NI GMBH?

As mentioned in the post, our team is aware but since it's a cosmetic issue there's probably won't be a fix any time soon unfortunately.

• Murat Kayi
    Answer ✓

Actually, the previous title reflected better on what this question is about. The question is not only about the second list (GmbH), but also the first list with everything showing up twice. I wouldn't be able to say how I think the list should look like ...but I just wanted to check if the 32bit plugins problem, KK bot being able to find my plugins and this messy list were sort of connected.

But it's true, it's cosmetic, especially since the three problems were not connected in any way

• mrwitte
    mrwitte Member Posts: 7 Member

I'm going to disagree here, and hopefully provide you the ammo you need in order to persuade the powers that be that they should bump this issue higher as a priority.

This is not a cosmetic issue. It's a function and overall efficiency issue, and I'll explain why: This is an interface bug that sows confusion, and potentially a real time-waster when you, the User (capitalized intentionally), don't understand what's going on or why.

The point of this sort of manager app/interface is to make things crystal clear, and make it possible to get things done simply and quickly in one place; a single, smooth point of uncomplicated company contact. Instead, this interface is obfuscating things and sending numerous users off on Google searches to try and figure out for themselves what's wrong. It's pulling musicians and sound designers away from their chosen work and unnecessarily requiring them to do footwork trying to troubleshoot IT for themselves. That's literally the opposite of what this sort of interface is intended to do.

I'm aware that's stated strongly, and I want to take a moment to say that, man, Native Access sure is better than what we had before, so earnest thanks for that. I'm just trying to push this point of view with a little oomph because I really believe it to be valid. And this bug has been around for a long time.

I've spent more time than I should have to wondering what the problem is and trying to get to the bottom of it instead of making music & leaving my desk to go have fun. Even when I hadn't spent any real time trying to figure it out, I'm still walking my dog or whatever, preoccupied with this itch in the back of my brain, thinking "what the hell's wrong with my Komplete installation? It seems OK... I sure hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the ass some time when I'm on deadline."

Being in an uneasy state all the time regarding workhorse software isn't cool. It's a real problem. Even if it's not as intense as wondering if your software is going to leave you in the lurch when you need it, you still wonder if you're getting your full money's worth when the control panel to a suite of this size & complexity is telling you there are problems with this or that piece of the operation.

Surface stuff like this also calls into question whether a company even has its act together, and it's not a good look. Don't get me wrong; I love Komplete and I'm glad I can now get back to work, comfortable in the knowledge that there really isn't some kind of issue with my install. I'm just trying to point out that it may behoove NI to look at this sort of problem differently than they currently do.

The really crazy thing is how great Native Access really is on the whole, and then you get this one stupid, tiny little fart in the scuba tank. So now, even though the software really is doing what it's supposed to behind the scenes, it's still giving the user the idea that it's failing!

Like NI did 99.99873% of the work needed (probably even more) to make a genuinely stellar control/manager interface, and then they just fell off at the end on that last, necessary .00127%. So now you've put in basically all of the work, and then due to a faulty ROI/cost-benefit analysis you leave out exactly just enough of the work so that the thing now doesn't really accomplish what it set out to do in the first place.

It's like the ending of THX 1138. The metaphor breaks down a bit because of course I was actually rooting for Duvall, but jeeze man they should have gotten that guy.

Maybe "stopping two inches short of the endzone" or whatever is a better metaphor. I'm just not into sportsball.

• mrwitte
    mrwitte Member Posts: 7 Member

I'm going to disagree here about the Repair issue being cosmetic, and hopefully provide the persuasive ammo needed to convince the powers that be that they should bump this issue higher as a priority.

This is not a cosmetic issue. It's a function and overall efficiency issue, and I'll explain why: This is an interface bug that sows confusion, and potentially a real time-waster when you, the User (capitalized intentionally), don't understand what's going on or why.

The point of this sort of manager app/interface is to make things crystal clear, and make it possible to get things done simply and quickly in one place; a single, smooth point of uncomplicated company contact. Instead, this interface is obfuscating things and sending numerous users off on Google searches to try and figure out for themselves what's wrong. It's pulling musicians and sound designers away from their chosen work and unnecessarily requiring them to do footwork trying to troubleshoot IT for themselves. That's literally the opposite of what this sort of interface should be intended to do.

I'm aware that's stated strongly, and I want to take a moment to say that, man, Native Access sure is a nice upgrade to how NI plugin management worked before, so earnest thanks for that. I'm just trying to push this point of view with a little oomph because I really believe it to be valid. And this bug has been around for a long time.

I've spent more time than I should have to wondering what the problem is and trying to get to the bottom of it instead of making music & leaving my desk to go have fun. Even when I hadn't spent any real time trying to figure it out, I'm still walking my dog or whatever, preoccupied with this itch in the back of my brain, thinking "what the hell's wrong with my Komplete installation? It seems OK... I sure hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the ass some time when I'm on deadline."

Being in an uneasy state all the time regarding workhorse software isn't cool. It's a real problem. Even if it's not as intense as wondering if your software is going to leave you in the lurch when you need it, you still wonder if you're getting your full money's worth when the control panel to a suite of this size & complexity is telling you there are problems with this or that piece of the operation.

Surface stuff like this also calls into question whether a company even has its act together, and it's not a good look. Don't get me wrong; I love Komplete and I'm glad I can now get back to work, comfortable in the knowledge that there really isn't some kind of issue with my install. I'm just trying to point out that it may behoove NI to look at this sort of problem differently than they currently do.

The really crazy thing is how great Native Access really is on the whole, and then you get this one stupid, tiny little fart in the scuba tank. So now, even though the software really is doing what it's supposed to be doing behind the scenes, it's still giving the user the false impression that it's mysteriously failing!

Like NI did 99.99873% of the work needed (probably even more) to make a genuinely stellar control/manager interface, and then they just sort of fell off at the end on that last, necessary .00127%. So now you've put in basically all of the work, and then due to a faulty ROI/cost-benefit analysis you leave out exactly just enough of the work so that the thing now doesn't really accomplish what it set out to do in the first place, in terms of communication.

It's like the ending of THX 1138. The metaphor breaks down a bit because of course you're rooting for Duvall, but jeeze man they should have got that guy.

Maybe "stopping two inches short of the endzone" or whatever is a better metaphor? Or like actually running the ball all the way through the endzone but you've miraculously figured out a way to blind the ref right when you do it so the point doesn't count. I dunno, I'm just not into sportsball.