Komplete Kontrol S49 - MIDI Templates Not Appearing

velanche
velanche Member Posts: 41 Member

Greets:

I was sort of oblivious to this, since I had not used my KK S49 MK2 keyboard for some time, but as I'm starting to use it again, I noticed that the MIDI Templates I've created are not available on the hardware. However, in the MIDI Assignment Editor in the Komplete Kontrol software, I found that the six templates I created are still there.

I did read of a workaround to make the .dat file read-only, restart NIHostIntegration, then take off read-only. This did not work for me, and frankly I'm uncertain that I've done the steps correctly.

I would really appreciate help in getting this to work again and having what I created load up again.

I'm on an M1 MacBook Pro with MacOS 12.6.1. Thanks!

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    edited December 2022

@velanche If you use the hardware in MIDI mode (not connected to the Komplete Kontrol standalone application or plug-in) then it can only load the latest template.

• velanche

Hey Jeremy.

Huh.I was thinking that at one time, a list of templates was possible with Logic integration. That may leave out non-NKS instruments, or even stock plugins, in that case. Is there a way that I can choose a different template to use with Logic, rather than just the latest one?

• velanche

Okay, I am getting back to grips with MIDI Templates. Admittedly, it's been a long while since I used them.

I now remember that I need to use the "PRESET" buttons to scroll up and down the MIDI Templates. I believe they ere displayed as lists at one time, but now remember that scrolling through the list on the keyboard is how it's done. Indeed, I am able to do so.

With that, it seems that none of the parameters that I created that I've mapped (they are Smart Control parameters that I've mapped) are responding. I'm not sure what the disconnect is; the parameters themselves can be seen on the keyboard (ie, AMP RELEASE, GLIDE TIME, etc.), but as I turn the knobs on the keyboard, I do not see a response on the Smart Controls interface.

I'm not sure what's up, but can use some guidance to get this fixed, in hopes that the other templates I created will also work.

Thanks.

• Jeremy_NI

@velanche It might be faster to reset these smart controls from scratch.

• velanche

@Jeremy_NI True that. I'll give it a go and see what happened. Doing all that setup, it's a bit disconcerting that things broke in the first place, and not knowing how it happened in order to prevent it from happening again. But tech being tech, there are no guarantees, except the hope that tech is made as reliable as can be without major workflow interruptions.

To clear up something, is it your understanding that Smart Controls need to be mapped as a MIDI template, as opposed to the "auto" option in Logic Pro-->Control Surface--->Settings--->MIDI Controller tab? As the KK keyboard is listed, I get the impression that the controls are supposed to be automapped, so I'm still confused on what I should expect when "Auto" is checked.

Thank you.

• Jeremy_NI

When the Komplete Kontrol keyboard is set as a control surface, it's not responding to MIDI, this is why you need to put the keyboard in MIDI mode. You should set the buttons to the CCs you want and then keep these CCs for Smart Control.

• velanche

Thanks for clearing up the details. I’ll think about it. As mentioned in another thread, I will need to give deleting Logic’s CS pref files some thought, since I have at least two other devices that are mapped and otherwise working fine with Logic.

Good to have a little bit more knowledge; thank you.

• Jeremy_NI
    edited December 2022

It could be the other way around, you could find out what CCs are assigned to the smart controls then create the MIDI template based on these CCs in the Komplete Kontrol standalone application.