Can I import an MK2 template into an MK3 unit?

Michael O'Hagan
Michael O'Hagan Member Posts: 93 Helper
edited December 2022 in Maschine

I'm trying to convrert/import an old MK2 midi template into my MK3 hardware and it seems that there is no way to do it.

Is this really the case or am I missing something?

It seems really crazy/lazy to think that there is no way to do this, the layouts are almost the same in most ways.

I don't want to have to remake every midi template all over again.

Is there a way to do this?

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓

There's no way to port it over. It might look similar from the outside but since there are a different amount of buttons the ID's used to store the information are very different; afaik.

There's a trick to save some time but it won't work for all controls, but at least for the Pads and custom Names for Knobs for example it works:

In Controller Editor right click your MK2 template and export, open the file with a text editor and change this:

To this:

What matters is just the type="Hardware Name"

Save the file and change its extension from .ncm2 to .ncm3 and load it to your MK3 in CE. You will still need to go in and check exactly what got loaded correctly but maybe this saves you some time.

Answers

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓

There's no way to port it over. It might look similar from the outside but since there are a different amount of buttons the ID's used to store the information are very different; afaik.

There's a trick to save some time but it won't work for all controls, but at least for the Pads and custom Names for Knobs for example it works:

In Controller Editor right click your MK2 template and export, open the file with a text editor and change this:

To this:

What matters is just the type="Hardware Name"

Save the file and change its extension from .ncm2 to .ncm3 and load it to your MK3 in CE. You will still need to go in and check exactly what got loaded correctly but maybe this saves you some time.

• Michael O'Hagan
    Michael O'Hagan Member Posts: 93 Helper
    edited December 2022

Thanks for the answer bro, it just seems lazy that it doesn't import and update controller templates.

I understand that they are different controllers, but one would expect that the pads and knobe and top 8 buttons would be able to carry over, where the controls are different it could just default to empty or something, but the pads, knobs and top 8 buttons are the same and should have been designed for ease of upgrading.

Rewriting all of my templates is a headache I don't need or want.

Thanks though.