How to trigger note-on/note-off in Maschine2, &TRK-01 software using MIDI, & the piano roll ?

flubotti
flubotti Member Posts: 22 Member
edited December 2022 in Maschine

I want to use some of the kits in Maschine, along with their MIDI patterns in some of my tunes to hear how they sound, and get some ideas. Have been trying to figure out how to trigger note-on/note-off in order to sync up the patterns with the different sections in my projects, but w/o success.Tried the "change MIDI/View" directions in Maschine, but that didn't work either Whatever I do, Maschine starts to play whenever I hit play on the transport in my Daw. Can't offset the start of the patterns in Maschine either. Am I supposed to de-couple Maschine from my DAW's transport? Haven't found anything online to help in finding a solution. Where should I be looking?

Best Answers

• flubotti
    Answer ✓

Thanks Paule for your time, and effort, but info you offered doesn't help me in this particilar situation. I want to be able to trigger Maschine play/stop with MIDI notes in the piano roll of my DAW just like any other instrument(note-on/note-off). Am using Maschine as a VSTi on just one of the tracks of a project, not as a standalone. As you know, the play/stop icon doesn't appear in this situation. So how do I trigger Maschine to play/stop on cue without starting/stopping the playback of the entire project? What's the workaround? The same with TRK-01. At least there's a workaround there, but wouldn't/shouldn't N.I. have designed that feature into the instruments? Need help please!

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓

@flubotti You can't decouple Maschine's Sync from the host DAW, the host will always trigger Play in Maschine-Plugin.

What you can do as a workaround is use empty Scenes/Sections (no active patterns) either matching your DAW timeline or you can trigger them with MIDI Change from the DAW's piano roll just like you asked.

For more info on MIDI change go here:

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/6226428761873-Triggering-MASCHINE-Scenes-with-MIDI-Notes-in-Your-DAW

• flubotti
    Answer ✓

Hit a bit of a snag. Have two scenes(scenes 1&2), each with the same pattern, but when I go from scene 1 to scene 2, the pattern doesn't get retriggered in scene 2 to the start of the pattern. It just continues on from the same point it left off at in scene 1. Is there a retrigger option?

• flubotti
    Answer ✓

Is it possible to convert a sequence from the sequencer in a Play Series product(say Deft Lines) into MIDI, then export it onto the Deft Lines track in my DAW , and play/edit it using the piano roll from there. The Deft Lines GUI is pretty small working with it on my laptop, and it would just be easilier to edit/adjust the pitches using the p.r. ?

Answers

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert

from Maschine 2 manual

• flubotti
    Answer ✓

Thanks Paule for your time, and effort, but info you offered doesn't help me in this particilar situation. I want to be able to trigger Maschine play/stop with MIDI notes in the piano roll of my DAW just like any other instrument(note-on/note-off). Am using Maschine as a VSTi on just one of the tracks of a project, not as a standalone. As you know, the play/stop icon doesn't appear in this situation. So how do I trigger Maschine to play/stop on cue without starting/stopping the playback of the entire project? What's the workaround? The same with TRK-01. At least there's a workaround there, but wouldn't/shouldn't N.I. have designed that feature into the instruments? Need help please!

• D-One
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓

@flubotti You can't decouple Maschine's Sync from the host DAW, the host will always trigger Play in Maschine-Plugin.

What you can do as a workaround is use empty Scenes/Sections (no active patterns) either matching your DAW timeline or you can trigger them with MIDI Change from the DAW's piano roll just like you asked.

For more info on MIDI change go here:

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/6226428761873-Triggering-MASCHINE-Scenes-with-MIDI-Notes-in-Your-DAW

• flubotti

D-One,

Hey thanks so much for the help D-One. Obviously I'm new to Maschine, and have a lot to learn. Just want you to know I appreciate your time, and effort. The info you gave me was very helpful, and the workaround was what I was looking for. Thanks again! Cheers!

~flubotti

• flubotti
    Answer ✓

Hit a bit of a snag. Have two scenes(scenes 1&2), each with the same pattern, but when I go from scene 1 to scene 2, the pattern doesn't get retriggered in scene 2 to the start of the pattern. It just continues on from the same point it left off at in scene 1. Is there a retrigger option?

• flubotti
    Answer ✓

Is it possible to convert a sequence from the sequencer in a Play Series product(say Deft Lines) into MIDI, then export it onto the Deft Lines track in my DAW , and play/edit it using the piano roll from there. The Deft Lines GUI is pretty small working with it on my laptop, and it would just be easilier to edit/adjust the pitches using the p.r. ?

• D-One

Yes, in the top menu next to Sync.

• Scene makes it wait for the current scene to end to start the next.
    • Retrigger makes it starts from the beginning of the next. (useful when your want Sync is set to something like 1 bar, 1/2 bar, etc...)

If you want to do it from the HW press Shift+Follow/Grid , it's in the Perform Menu. Not sure where the retrigger option is tho.

Hope it helps, cheers.