Load times after upgrade to Kontakt 7

Cirrocumulus
Cirrocumulus Member Posts: 4 Member
edited December 2022 in Kontakt

Hello,

I haven't used my mac for about a year, after years of intensive use of Komplete 10 and Kontakt 5.

I did the last possible upgrades (to macOS Monterey 12.6.1) and also upgraded to Kontakt 7 player.

I then installed The Grandeur using Native Access into the exact same drive it had been installed to before, and noticed that load times are significantly longer. The drive is a non-SSD RAID5 with 2tb of free storage, from which I used to run complex library sessions with no issues. I distinctly remember being used to seeing the library loading window only for an instant, and then seeing the sample memory fill up in the Kontakt window. Now, the library load window first slowly fills up, only then to proceed to loading the samples very slowly in Kontakt.

I've tried installing back Kontakt 5 (the full version I have) but I get the same results. I've also tried installing The Grandeur to the internal mac SSD (which has 70gb of free space), but loading times were even worse (with the additional grief of sustained notes getting cut off).

The rest of my setup is exactly the same as it was last year, when I was running dozens of VIs + 4 remote Vienna Ensemble Pro sessions on the same machine (27" iMac 4ghz Quad i7, 24gb RAM).

Has anything changed in the last year or so in the way NI and macOS operate? Apple M1 "optimizations" maybe? Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best Answer

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,591 mod

@Cirrocumulus What was your previous OS? Have you given Full Disk Access to Kontakt and your DAW? How to Enable Full Disk Access on macOS

What is the format of the external hard drive? APFS?

• Cirrocumulus

The previous OS was Catalina (I had skipped over Big Sur). I've tried giving Kontakt 7 Full Disk Access (which wasn't enabled), but this hasn't had an effect on loading times. The external drive is a HFS+ volume (classical hard drive), but I get the same behaviour if The Grandeur Library is installed on my internal (startup) SSD volume, which is formatted in APFS and has around 60gb of free space.

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

Have you checkes this article? KONTAKT - Slow Loading Times

• Cirrocumulus

Batch resave seems to have solved the problem, thank you, although I'm curious as to why. There were no unfound samples, they were loading just fine, but very slowly. What does "sample path information specific for your system" mean? What can be more specific than e.g. "/Users/me/Files/DAW/Instruments/The\ Grandeur\ Library/Samples/GRANDEUR_001.nkx"?

Thanks.

• Jeremy_NI

@Cirrocumulus The batch re-save just resaves the files and their file paths, this will also get rid of any permission issue that might have occurred.

• Cirrocumulus

OK, thanks a lot for your help in this matter.

• QueMusiQ
    QueMusiQ Member Posts: 6 Member

I have Komplete Ultimate Grand High Potentate 33* Master Masonic Infinity Stone Collector's Edition or whatever it's called, which has a ton of instruments in it, and I was going through one by one batch resaving, but I had to go somewhere so I set it to just the parent folder where all of my instruments libraries ARE? I mistakenly set THAT to "batch re-save" and it seemed to be working because I came back after like 30 minutes, realized my mistake and closed it down, going back to the one by one instrument method. But it wouldn't work. I think it was batch re-saving the whole thing, so now I just set it to the mistake; I'm batch resaving the parent folder where the library installation paths all are, and I'm gonna just...idunno...do my actual job now? Seems weird. Okay, I'll come back and say if that worked.