Going deeper than 2 folder levels in Maschine+ with 3rd party samples

MatrixxSoundlab
MatrixxSoundlab Member Posts: 25 Member
edited November 2022 in Maschine

Yesterday I experimented with importing 3rd party samples and sample packs into Maschine+ that were more than 2 folders deep. What I found is that if your samples are "tagged" properly, that you'll be able to navigate to them normally just like NI expansion packs. I did an NKS tagging tutorial because I couldn't find one online at all. Here's the link.

Tagged:

Comments

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited November 2022

Yes, if tagged you can have as many sub-folders as you like (only tested up to 5 tho)

If the pack files are properly named you can for example just: import the main folder to the user lib, select it and type in "Kick" in the search, select all files and tag them as kicks. Repeat for other stuff, I think this is a lot fewer steps than what's shown in the video, I didn't watch the full thing as it seems huge for such a simple task.

Honestly, if you have a lot of 3rd Party or your own packs Maschine Auto Tagger might be worth it for you, it's just 18$, I think it relies on folder names tho, so those have to be properly named.

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/3734/maschine-auto-tagger-release

• MatrixxSoundlab

All of my 3rd party stuff is tagged. It can be tedious, but you only have to do it once! So it's completely worth the headache, especially when I'm trying to get out a random idea quickly, before I lose the idea!

• MatrixxSoundlab

@D-One NI should push that auto tagger. I know a LOT of lazy beatmakers that don't tag anything 3rd party. They should also make people aware that the + CAN go more than 2 folders deep. They should also make in known that the favorites file needs to be backed up. When I had to re-do my computer, the favorites file was missed and everything that I favorited from every kit and plugin was lost. I'm still slowly working my way back to favoriting everything.

• troxx
    troxx Member Posts: 29 Member

NI definitely need to work on getting this information out to new users, whenever you search for user sample folder stuff, you always come across the 2 folder structure limit answers.

NI need to inform users, especially new to the Maschine about their tagging system and why it's important to tag sample content in order to browse your personal samples properly, why haven't the social media engagers done any videos or articles on this?

• MatrixxSoundlab

@troxx you're absolutely right. I had to make a tutorial video on it because 1. I had to teach myself how to do it and 2. I couldn't find anything else online to guide me through it. Tagging 3rd party content is SUPER important!

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod

@D-One NI should push that auto tagger. I know a LOT of lazy beatmakers that don't tag anything 3rd party.

Push it how? That might be a liability for them, if one day the dev abandons the project or something...