USB Hub advise

mehmetali
mehmetali Member Posts: 2 Member

Hello everybody,

I am totally new to this world, so please be easy on me. Doing me best to learn as much as possible.

I recently bought a Komplete Kontrol M32 and will add the following gear by the end of this year:

Maschine Mikro MK3, Arturia MiniFuse 2, AT2020 Mic and DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm.

I am using a MacBook Pro M1 Pro 'cus I don't usually sit on my desk.

So I am in need of a "one cable" solution.

What you guys are using or would advise? NI knowledge-base reads as it's advised to plug the audio interface directly to the computer and that would doubles the USB inputs.

Need advise. Thank you!

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓

Hi. That knowledge-base recommendation is from another era, it's there probably for decades and doesn't really apply to todays reality. Unpowered USB2 hubs often caused issues in the past but I never had any issue with any USB3 / USB-C hub (as these can pull more power, so don't need external help from the wall)

For my M1 MacBook I have both a CoolBox and a Mitsai USB-C hub and both work just fine, I just went to a store and bought whatever was cheaper (30$ each aprox.). USB-C Hubs can get pricy, 70$+ but I really see no point in espending that much tbh.

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,966 mod

Hello,

I have really good experience in general with anker products, but I'm not a mac user, so hopefully someone else can help you better. Maybe @D-One knows something.@D-One

• D-One
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓

Hi. That knowledge-base recommendation is from another era, it's there probably for decades and doesn't really apply to todays reality. Unpowered USB2 hubs often caused issues in the past but I never had any issue with any USB3 / USB-C hub (as these can pull more power, so don't need external help from the wall)

For my M1 MacBook I have both a CoolBox and a Mitsai USB-C hub and both work just fine, I just went to a store and bought whatever was cheaper (30$ each aprox.). USB-C Hubs can get pricy, 70$+ but I really see no point in espending that much tbh.

• mehmetali
    mehmetali Member Posts: 2 Member

@D-One those are not even powered ones. Thanks mate.

And I will be moving to Portugal by mid '23. I'd write you when the comes. Cheers!

• D-One
    edited December 2022

Yeah, theres no need, on an M1 the ports are USB4/Thunderbolt which can deliver way more power than 2 or 3 USB2 devices would ever need. If I am not mistaken the 1st port has a bit more juice then the 2nd.

Oh, I forgot to mention these hubs do get quite hot, I'm sort of new to USB-C but I reckon thats normal.

Oh, cool. The weather is terrible here this time of the year 😭

Cheers!