New S88 mk2 key noise

seadragon
seadragon Member Posts: 21 Member
edited December 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

Hi everyone,

I took delivery of a brand new S88 mk2 yesterday but immediately noticed the keys don’t all sound the same mechanically. They are noisier at the extreme ends of the board. Bottom 6 notes and the top octave produce a plastic type click sound when pressed and released. The rest of the keys are basically silent. If I put my hand on the case above the LED guide and apply a bit of pressure, the sound subsides. This makes me this is the case rattling or an assembly issue.

I just placed an order for another one which I should receive in a couple of days. I’ll then compare it with this one and return one of them, or both.

Just curious if anyone else has had similar experience?

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• seadragon
    edited December 2022

Not that there’s much interest in my thread but here’s the latest update.

As it turns out, I’m not having any luck with a getting a new S88.

I ordered one last week and noticed that the highest octave and the lowest 6 keys produce a plastic tapping sound when pressed and released. The rest of the keys sound normal and almost silent.

So I ordered a second one and took delivery yesterday. The second S88 doesn’t have the plastic tapping sound but I discovered a different problem. There is one key (A3#) that is sending a velocity value of 127 at the slightest touch. It’s quite startling when playing a quiet piece and you happen to hit that note. I used a midi monitor app to verify the issue.

So, now I have two S88s repackaged in their boxes to be returned to the retailer today.

• seadragon
    edited December 2022

Turns out that the Fatar TP/100LR keybed used in the S88 has a less than stellar reputation. Hopefully NI will use a better keybed in the next iteration of the S88. Very disappointed with my S88 experience.