installation of Maschine & komplete bundle using the Paragon software

6xes
6xes Member Posts: 630 Pro
edited December 2022 in Maschine

im just curious, if anyone has tried cross installing, their maschine expansions & or the Komplete software expansions on the M1 Mac mini's using the Mac to NTFS paragon software.

Im aware one part of the installation process regarding installing with M1's etc...

in that we need to format a drive with APFS and then begin the installation with Native Access.

what i would like to know is the following...

if i format a drive in APFS, then i bring my SOME of my sample libraries across from my NTFS drive, save it into the APFS Drive that i assign using Native access(keeping the same folder structures etc)... will that work??

im wondering about this as the download process using Native Access is going to take a long time...

Has anyone tried using the above method?

edit: im sure the dmg executeables would need to be downloaded separately.... but im referring mainly to the Expansions and sampled instruments that come with maschine&Komplete.

Are the expansions and sampled instruments etc essentially the same files as those on a NTFS windows installation? and can they be cross installed??

btw im a komplete noob when it comes to working with Mac OS *smiles

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓

Well... If it's works for you then, why not I guess...

... having those almost completed ISO's, saved as a backup will likely save time if having to redownload things again *shrugs

Once you have the plists (or whatever the equivalent is for windows) you never have to redownload again... I do clean OS installs quite often and if I had to download everything every time or save 500GB of .ISOs I'd pull my hair out.

Mat (who works for NI) made a video about it recently:

Answers

• D-One
    edited December 2022

What would be the purpose of this? External drive? SSD or Mechanical?

if i format a drive in APFS, then i bring my SOME of my sample libraries across from my NTFS drive, save it into the APFS Drive that i assign using Native access(keeping the same folder structures etc)... will that work??

No.

Are you just trying to avoid re-installing (re downloading) the libraries? NA doesn't read the preferences path to try and guess if there are uninstalled libraries already there and add them. So no, that will not work but not due to hard drive file-system differences.

In Mac's NA knows if something is installed thru .plist files, if those are detected it thinks products are already installed and it can offer to relocate/repair, thus avoiding re-downloading and re-installation - So, copying those files say from an old mac to a new one allows to bypass re-downloading kontakt libs. I doubt Windows uses these .plist files for you to copy them over tho, it probably uses the regedit thing, registry, or whatever it's called.

• 6xes

@D-One

The idea was to... "yes" save upon the need to re-download everything...

i'll try and test the theory of installing a handful of expansions and komplete libraries on the Mac within a NTFS drive and then test if there is any portability of drives across the 2 Operating Systems..

Probably wont work.. but heck ill just test it out anyhow.. i hate having unanswered questions lingering in my head LOL.

ill keep your response in mind when it fails.... that way i wont be too disappointed LOL (he did mention it wont work!!) 😁

• 6xes

well who wouldve thought!!

i downloaded 1 maschine expansion for testing.. "system clash"

apparently the expansions are essentially the same content...

there is a slight change in the naming of the top level folder..

one being named the

"System clash" for PC

the other

"System clash library" for Mac

Swapping the names around they still worked...

The process however is that a ISO is downloaded into the Macs Downloads folder... but unfortunately it disappears after the expansion is completed... where the ISO is hidden after the installation is anyones guess... but im sure anyone some knowledge of retrieving files could find it easily enough... as its the ISO that Native access recognises... which could be stopped mid-stream and effectively replace with the full ISO & brought back online again...... to prevent the need for re-downloading all over again!! *shrugs (reminds me of steam&the origin methods of restoring a backup... and requiring only the validation process to finalize the install

Can save alot of time fart arsing around with Native access.. lol

• 6xes

So the method above... was installing the New Mac expansion from Native access into my already existent NTFS drive where the Native instruments content resides... i only renamed the PC System clash to System clash1

to prevent it overwriting the folder

although the name of the top folder is different... everything else in the folder structures are the same.. and the songs loaded as they should...

practical uses?? *shrugs.. but its sure good to know its possible!! *winks

• D-One
    edited December 2022

Wait.. What? Did it work?

The files are all the same as far as the content goes, it's making NA believe it's installed and therefor show up in Maschine/KK that is the issue... If you just overwrite the install yeah, it should work.

• 6xes
    edited December 2022

i havent tested it with a working ISO so its diffucult to say if you could stop a partially downloaded ISO mid stream and then replace it with a fully downloaded one... in an attempt to bypass the full download...

one needs to recover or duplicate the fully downloaded ISO during the finalizing of the install...

I have some parital komplete sample library's(ISO's) on my original HDD version of Kontact 12 ultimate... but they are not the full ones... and i suspect native access updates at the point of where the ISO is referenced from, as i recall, when i first installed Komplete ultimate 12 on my PC.

but finding the full ISO after the download is complete and wiped out of existence...is the better bet *shrugs

that said... native access is still required to validate any expansion or library for it to install correctly

• D-One

Replacing an ISO mid-install for a current version with an outdated one really doesn't sound like a great idea, doing it one by one will be tedious, might as well leave it downloading overnight and pray NA2 doesn't crash or stall due to an error.

• 6xes
    edited December 2022

okay heres what i did...

i downloaded another expansion... which is 394mb in size

i paused the download @ 372mb and i copied both ISO files over into separate directory..

deleted the almost finished ISO from the download folder.. and restarted the process

i allowed the installation of the same expansion to re-populate the ISO about 40mb..

paused the download... deleted the new ISO from the downloads folder and then copied the previous ones over (the almost fully finished ISO's)

restarted the download... and it failed a number of times.. restarted Native access a couple of times.. and it began the catchup process of the download.. basically taking over from the almost fully downloaded position and then finishing the download.

edit: the fails i think had something to do with my internet connection,,, as my internet is acting up, not holding a stable connection

from here it installs as per normal...

i loaded maschine up... the expansion was present in the browser list... however a box came up saying i needed to register the expansion...

So i restarted Native access again... with Maschine still open.. and the registration took care of itself.

So im guessing this can be done with expansions and or sample libraries... *shrugs

... having those almost completed ISO's, saved as a backup will likely save time if having to redownload things again *shrugs

• D-One
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓

Well... If it's works for you then, why not I guess...

Once you have the plists (or whatever the equivalent is for windows) you never have to redownload again... I do clean OS installs quite often and if I had to download everything every time or save 500GB of .ISOs I'd pull my hair out.

Mat (who works for NI) made a video about it recently: