How do I use different loops for each pattern within the same group?

jsmccloud
jsmccloud Member Posts: 6 Newcomer

Hello, I just purchased the Komplete Kontrol s61 Keyboard and I'm really liking the Maschine software it came with.

I am trying to achieve what I thought was a simple task but can't seem to figure it out.

I am dragging loops from within my library, into the different tracks of a group. What I'd like to do is create patterns for each one, all within the same group.

However, it doesn't appear to save the tracks I mute between the patterns. I've also tried switching to the grid and assigning a loop to each grid and set the key I want it to trigger, but it is not behaving in the way I expected to trigger the loops and create the different patterns.

I did find one tutorial online that looked promising, which is to go to the sampler and "MAP" a range of the track to the keyboard, but it appears that my version of Maschine is missing the Slice and Zone tabs under the sampler to access them.

I had thought perhaps there were different versions of maschine, but looking online I do not see where to purchase the upgraded software.

Is there another way to do what I'm trying? Also, is there another version of maschine that I can purchase and upgrade to the full version of the software, if I do have a limited edition?

Thank you!

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓

Hum... I wouldn't go complicating such an easy thing to achive. I don't have an S Series Keyboard anymore to say if it's possible from the HW but it's super easy from the Software:

Loops (in Loop Mode) have 2 states: active or inactive and this data is saved per Pattern.

Just double-click the Pad Lane (where the waveform should be) for each Loop in each Pattern and it toggles it on-off.

Answers

• 6xes
    6xes Member Posts: 630 Pro

not exactly sure the work flow you are trying to achieve...

but you can duplicate groups of instruments and effectively create a duplicate track.. utilising those same instruments.

creating separate patterns across duplicate groups can help with variations over the same groups, and playing parallel patterns utilising the same groups

effectively giving you 2 exact instrument groups, and running dual patterns.

making the patterns change on the fly... you would need to setup midi change... which is found in the edit menu i think, the midi note scene change always starts from the first key in the lowest octave of the assigned midi channel, if you were inclined to use that feature!

• jsmccloud

Thanks for the reply. Duplicating the groups would certainly work, but then I'd have 16+ groups across the screen. It would be better if I could just use multiple loops within one group and be able to trigger the different loops with patterns inside that one group.

I am pretty sure that if I could get the Zone tab to show in the sampler, I could assign the loops to different keys on the keyboard and trigger the different loops that way to make patterns, but they seem to be missing. Is there another version of the software I can buy?

Also, I'm not sure I need the midi change. When I set this up, my keyboard stops working and I can't play any instruments. I can already switch groups, scenes and patterns through the dials on my keyboard. The problem is that it doesn't seem I can use more than one loop in a group and trigger them into different patterns.

I'm sorry, I guess it's a bit difficult to explain what I'm trying to do. I'm new to the software, and I'm sure there is a simple answer I'm just missing or don't understand yet.

So far, the only way I see to do what I want is with the Zone tab inside the sampler, but I do not know what I need to do to get.

Thanks again for helping me out!

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,967 mod
    edited December 2022

Hello,

if you drag and drop loops it could be the case that maschine is creating a audio sampler, you can change that to the "normal" sampler by right click and select samplery then you can use the tutorial you've mentioned. But then the loops have to be the same tempo, so you maybe have to edit it before, you can do that by using the audio sampler and re-sample into the "normal" sampler for example. We definitely need another time stretch function, like in the audio sampler, in the "normal" sampler too, so we can sync different material easily with the "normal" sampler too. Or we need an expanded audio module, where we can trigger different loop samples with notes - both would work.

• Murat Kayi
    Murat Kayi Member Posts: 429 Pro

You just use gate mode for the loops and mute them in the sounds for the various patterns.

• jsmccloud

I think there is some confusion of what I'm trying to do. I'll post a video here to explain and show everyone what I've tried and doesn't work.

• jsmccloud

OK, check out this video and see if this will add some clarity to my question.

Thank you everyone for the help!

https://www.loom.com/share/5e5a1329097a49c1b533a03148905a11

• Uwe303

That's an option, but then you have "only" 16 loops max., but that should be fine in most cases.

• jsmccloud

I've tried using mute, but it doesn't save between the patterns for me. Take a look at the video to see how I was trying to do it.

https://www.loom.com/share/5e5a1329097a49c1b533a03148905a11

• jsmccloud

Also, when I switched the loops to Gate, I can trigger the loop with the keyboard, however, it doesn't appear that I have a way to trigger a different loop, it only triggers one of the loops.

• Uwe303

You have to switch the keyboard into group/drum kit or pad mode, in not sure what it's called, then you can use 16 loops on the 16 pads.

• 6xes
    6xes Member Posts: 630 Pro
    edited December 2022

one method you could use... is shifting the loop start points and end points(hold shift or ctrL and move the mouse) cant remember what keys they are

for example...

pattern1

loop 1 begins @ bars 1-4

pattern2

loop 2 begins @ bars 5-8

pattern3

loop 3 begins @ bars 9-12

and then you can transition by pattern changing

im just unsure if the samples itself can be moved *shrugs

• Uwe303

Strange, i checked the s61 manual and could not find the pad mode, i have with my a49, with it activated i can play the 16 pads in a group of maschine instead of playing just one pad but then on the whole keyboard.

• Murat Kayi
    edited December 2022

I mean muting the audio module's gate mode. This results in 16 loops per group for which you then need 16 patterns where every audio module is muted but the one which is supposed to play.

If you're adventurous you could check if it's possible to map loops across the zones of the sampler and then use all the octaves, but I really wonder if playing with the tool rather than bending it to breaking point isn't gonna take you much farther

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓

Hum... I wouldn't go complicating such an easy thing to achive. I don't have an S Series Keyboard anymore to say if it's possible from the HW but it's super easy from the Software:

Loops (in Loop Mode) have 2 states: active or inactive and this data is saved per Pattern.

Just double-click the Pad Lane (where the waveform should be) for each Loop in each Pattern and it toggles it on-off.

• Murat Kayi

Oh right, in Loop Mode it's even easier! hahaha...stupid me.