Why does the MultiRack exist?

Daniel Thompson
Daniel Thompson Member Posts: 3 Member
edited December 2022 in Kontakt

Hi - Complete newbie here. I saw the free download for Hypha and decided to try it, so it's my first time playing with Kontakt Player. I understand I need to move an instrument to multirack in order for it to play. But what's the point of having multiple instruments there each on its own separate midi channel? Is there some way to switch between them? Or do I need a fancier MIDI keyboard that support feature? And then once an instrument is in that MultiRack how do you get rid of it? I see how to purge the entire multirack, but not individual instruments?

Best Answer

• Daniel Thompson
    Answer ✓

OK - I think I understand why multiple instruments are useful. It turns out I can record multiple tracks using MIDI channel 1, but then send each of them to different MIDI channels.

Answers

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro
  • Daniel Thompson

Thanks, I thought I'd read that pretty thoroughly before posting. And while it does say I can load multiple instruments in MultiRack, I don't see where it says why I would want to do that, seeing as I can only play one MIDI channel at a time (unless I'm wrong about that?). And I don't see where it says how to remove instruments from the MultiRack without removing all of them?

• Daniel Thompson
    Answer ✓

OK - I think I understand why multiple instruments are useful. It turns out I can record multiple tracks using MIDI channel 1, but then send each of them to different MIDI channels.

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro
    edited December 2022

Also very useful for loading two or more instruments, set them to the same MIDI channel, and then adjust ratios for sound design and layering (ex: strings & piano).

Any loaded instrument in a multi can be deleted using the little [X] icon in upper right corner of each instrument header.