Share amp boost between macros?

toddkc
toddkc Member Posts: 18 Member
edited February 2022 in Guitar Rig & FX

I'm trying to do something that seems to work fine with "pedals", but not when adding in an amp gain setting (such as the boost on the Lead 800). I have a Skreamer in front of the Lead 800. I have 3 macros. Macro A is set to turn off the skreamer and the boost. Macro B turns the skreamer on and the boost off. Macro C turns both on. This setup works fine with the skreamer, but when I adjust the amp boost settings on a macro it adjusts that setting on ALL macros, making it impossible to have one that turns it on and another that turns it off.

Am I doing something wrong, is this a bug, or just something I should give up on? Everything works fine if I just use Macro A to toggle the skreamer and Macro B to toggle the Boost. My goal is to essentially use Macros to make clean, crunch, and lead settings within my preset.

This works the same with Containers and Global Macros, by the way. Not a huge deal, just seeing what my options are. Thanks!

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,040 mod
    Answer ✓

Hello,

now i know what you mean, you cant set an independent macro range for knobs, on buttons it works. Must be a bug. It would make sense if the knob on the fx unit would report state back to the macro, but it does not so there is no argument for not having independent macro ranges for the same fx knob from different macros. I made you a preset witch should work almost like you want. Only way to avoid it would be if you midi learn the fx knob directly. So this would be a good user request.

Uwe

• toddkc
    Answer ✓

Your preset works, but only because you are aren't doing the exact thing I was trying to do :)

Adding more pedals works, sure, but that isn't what I am wanting to do. The other workaround is to use two different instances of the same amp inside a split, and then use the macro to switch between them like an amp channel switch. Between the splits and containers there are a lot of workarounds, I was just curious if I was the only one with the amp boost macro issue.

Thanks!

Answers

• Uwe303

Hello,

have you tried for macro A to set the button to "enable hold mode", maybe you upload the file, then i can have a look, would make things much easier.

Uwe

• toddkc

I have tried hold mode, that makes more sense as it's more of a "switch" instead of an on/off situation. Still doesn't work though, the amp boost settings in the macro are adjusted across all macros. I will include a basic preset showing the behavior (had to zip it as the ngrr extension wasn't allowed).

Preset has 3 macros: Clean, Crunch, Lead. Ideally the clean would toggle boost and skreamer off. Crunch would toggle boost off and skreamer on. Lead would have both on. You can look at the advanced macro settings to see how the boost part of this doesn't work properly.

Thanks for the reply! Maybe we can figure this out :)

• Uwe303
    Answer ✓

Hello,

now i know what you mean, you cant set an independent macro range for knobs, on buttons it works. Must be a bug. It would make sense if the knob on the fx unit would report state back to the macro, but it does not so there is no argument for not having independent macro ranges for the same fx knob from different macros. I made you a preset witch should work almost like you want. Only way to avoid it would be if you midi learn the fx knob directly. So this would be a good user request.

Uwe

• toddkc
    Answer ✓

Your preset works, but only because you are aren't doing the exact thing I was trying to do :)

Adding more pedals works, sure, but that isn't what I am wanting to do. The other workaround is to use two different instances of the same amp inside a split, and then use the macro to switch between them like an amp channel switch. Between the splits and containers there are a lot of workarounds, I was just curious if I was the only one with the amp boost macro issue.

Thanks!

• Uwe303

ok then i maybe understood the first scenario wrong in the first post, i tried to recreate what you described there but anyway if you can work it out then it´s fine. But to have different ranges from different macros for one parameter would be nice in some situations.

Uwe