which USB-standard has Traktor S4 Mk3 and what Sticks/HDD/SSD recommended?

The Sarge
The Sarge Member Posts: 125 Helper
edited December 2022 in Traktor Software & Hardware

hi there,

I make this year (the last where we have money^^) a self-christmas-gift:

Traktor S4 Mk3

what USB-standard is the USB-Hub-Slot?

is it possible to connect a Hub with 2 USB-Sticks to it?

and btw:

which 32/64GB Sticks and what 2,5"-USB-HDD (or is SSD with Adapter possible/better?) do you recommend?

ahh, nearly forgotten: just an at home-DJ 🙈

thank you in advance

The Sarge!

Best Answers

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,218 Expert
    Answer ✓

It's not a standalone unit. You need to connect it to a computer and have your music on there.

Native Instrument has no standalone DJ unit, only traktor controllers.

If you want a cheap standalone DJ unit, you can take a look at Numark mixstream pro or Denon DJ SC Live 2. Those are the cheapest I know.

• lord-carlos
    Answer ✓

Well, technically you could use the S4 in standalone mode.

For example I did it with a record player. But you only have the 3 EQ, filter and volume. It works with an analog audio signal from the outside, it can't play anything itself.

F1 or X1 are not needed.

Those two and even the S4 can be found on the used market for a decent price at times. Worth taking a look.

Answers

• lord-carlos
    Answer ✓

It's not a standalone unit. You need to connect it to a computer and have your music on there.

Native Instrument has no standalone DJ unit, only traktor controllers.

If you want a cheap standalone DJ unit, you can take a look at Numark mixstream pro or Denon DJ SC Live 2. Those are the cheapest I know.

• The Sarge

ah, okay

for what is the function of connection named "hub" than?

and 2nd:

can you recommand an USB-Stick-brand for taking my recorded set (hope TraktorPro3 can do this) into my car which has a USB2.0-connection?

• lord-carlos

for what is the function of connection named "hub" than?

Connect a second device. I use it to have a S4 and a F1, but only need one connection to the PC.

can you recommand an USB-Stick-brand for taking my recorded set 

Any should do. I got a sandisk extreme pro for all around use. Though they are on the more expensive side. But fast sustained read and write speed.

Yes, traktor can record. Might be to .wav though, probably want to convert it to .mp3 to have a smaller file for your car.

• The Sarge

ui, fast answer, THANKS alot

ah, okay, F1 is an interesting tool, but maybe birthday (April) ;) and the X1 isn´t needed for the S4, right?

expensive is okay for important things, so why not for my DJ-Set ;) yes, I know it´ll be still on PC, but u understand what I mean. SanDisk my father-in-love (right? the father of my wife) uses in all his cameras

converting wav -> mp3 no problem, maybe bit cutting with my WaveLab when needed

but just 1time back to the standalone-thing: I´ve read it on the NI-page, maybe understood it wrong

"Alternatively, mix external audio without a laptop connected – whether it’s drum machines, synths, or you fancy an old-school analog session."

but this doesn´t include USB-Drive, okay, no problem

• lord-carlos
    Answer ✓

Well, technically you could use the S4 in standalone mode.

For example I did it with a record player. But you only have the 3 EQ, filter and volume. It works with an analog audio signal from the outside, it can't play anything itself.

F1 or X1 are not needed.

Those two and even the S4 can be found on the used market for a decent price at times. Worth taking a look.

• The Sarge

yes, one more time: Thank You! helped me much more than sells-man ;)

SanDisc is on the wish-list

used-market is a very good idea

I wish you all the best and see ya sometime again here or elsewhere 👋

• amber k
    amber k Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

Hello is it possible for traktor s4 mk 3 to use the controller outside the home using only a USB cable and laptop?

thank you

• red_nick
    red_nick Member Posts: 101 Member

You need something to power the controller. You could get a USB-C battery pack and a cable like https://www.songbirdfx.com/products/birdcord-pd15v/

But if you're focused on using it without mains, might be better getting an S2 mk3 instead.