When will third party VST3 in Maschine be supported ?

Olivier57
Olivier57 Member Posts: 7 Member
edited January 2022 in Maschine

Hey Native Instruments, this is missing for Maschine to be a complete DAW.

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓

It seems some users stumble on this old thread. Since Maschine 2.16.0 third party VST3 plugins are now supported in Maschine:

I will close this thread to avoid confusion. If you wish to comment or voice your opinion on MPE or aftertouch, I'd recommend finding existing posts about it, check our Maschine survey or create your own posts.

Answers

• Reefius
    Reefius Member Posts: 244 Pro

VST3 support currently only works for NI plugins. My guess is they need to do more testing before opening it up for all plugins.

When this happens, I hope there will be an option to hide VST2 plugins if a VST3 version is available, otherwise the plugin list will show each plugin twice (VST2 and VST3).

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 587 Guru

I hope this also means that Maschine will get MIDI 2.0 support and full MPE compatibility eventually, since VST3 will make all this more feasible to implement.

• Reefius
    Reefius Member Posts: 244 Pro
    tetsuneko said:

I hope this also means that Maschine will get MIDI 2.0 support and full MPE compatibility eventually, since VST3 will make all this more feasible to implement.

I would be happy with aftertouch support. It still puzzles me why aftertouch is ignored by the Maschine software, especially because the Maschine controllers and also the Komplete Kontrol S keyboards have aftertouch.
  • tempsperdu
    tempsperdu Member Posts: 292 Pro
    When VST 3 is finally integrated, is there going to be a much-needed graphical overhaul of the plugin selection process? Sorry to say it, but I don't think I've ever used a software with a more disastrous and clumsy interface in that regard.
  • kb420
    kb420 Member Posts: 24 Helper
    edited January 2022

This is really one of my biggest feature requests for Maschine. I think we've all waited long enough.

• Howl
    Howl Member Posts: 6 Member

not to mention that the Maschine controllers can do poly aftertouch.... well it took also ableton a long time, to include that... but still...

MPE would be great, because it used all the time, but still i can do without in Maschine.

but Poly aftertouch; it is a CC.....

• A.k.a.Wendl
    A.k.a.Wendl Member Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2022

Yeah, It becomes quite urgent as Steinberg doesn't deliver any new VST2 license for new virtual instruments or plugins. They are all released in VST3 only

• Olivier57

Hello all,

I don't know why Native Instruments is taking so long to offer Mashine in VST3 format as well as for all third-party plugins in Maschine itself !?

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,535 Expert

Apple compatibility updates probably plays a lot to the delays.

• Olivier57

Yes Apple is still a bit apart 😉, but, maybe Native can already bring this to Windows users.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,535 Expert

No, what I meant was the devs have been making constant updates for almost the last 12 months due to changes in macOS and Logic which probably delays other features/improvements that can be made. Also, Win11 was thrown in there but that's usually pretty simple stuff to update for, the latest M1 would be a bit of a nightmare since there are so many hardware and software components to update and test. Prob another 4-6 months off having that all done.... just in time for the next macOS update to throw a new spanner in the works.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,302 Expert

From the Steinberg news here:

https://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandevents/news/newsdetail/article/vst-2-coming-to-an-end-4727.html

(which unfortunately isn’t available anymore)

Late 2013 we announced that the Software Development Kit (SDK) for VST 2 would no longer be maintained and would only be available as subset of the VST 3 SDK. Five years down the line and this transitional phase is now also coming to an end.​

And in 2018, Steinberg stopped issuing VST2 developer licenses.

So, there was plenty of time, and the current rush is probably more related to Steinberg's announcement to entirely remove VST2 support from Cubase in the near future.

• T3chn!c!@n
    T3chn!c!@n Member Posts: 3 Member

God I hope so, this is why I can't really get into my Roli Seabord integration. I have to create sounds in Studio One or a DAW then export, it's kind of annoying. IF they integrate MPE and allow for third party VST3 NKS to work in the browser that'll be my wishes.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia Member Posts: 3,605 Expert
    edited January 2023

Third party VST3 NKS already work in the browser

For MPE to work Maschine will need to stop filtering out aftertouch for a start