Battery 4 not handling 3rd party kits (I think it has to do with longer samples)

DavidAsher
DavidAsher Member Posts: 10 Member

I’ve noticed that most (if not all) of the 3rd party kits I’ve bought don’t work well with Battery. They trigger ok for a moment but then glitch and won’t work for a moment. I think it has to do with the sample length. I’ve tried shortening the samples and that seems to work but samples like cymbals that need to be long still mess up the playability. Is there a different way I should be setting up these longer samples?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• DavidAsher
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓

Update, got a hold of NI team and eventually they had me go into preferences and allow Battery full disc access. Seems to have remedied the issue. Thanks NI,

Answers

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert

I don't own Battery but it sounds like mono settings in Battery while during a cymbals sounds longer other samples cut the tail.

Is there a setting for mono or poly inside of Battery? Or how many polyphone is your mode?

If you set to poly 2 and 2 other samples cross the cymbal tail it glitches.

• DavidAsher

I hear what you’re saying but I’m pretty sure Battery is always in a polyphonic mode. The only thing I can find that’s relative to what you’re saying is Voice Groups, which normally set to 32 with the exception of the choke group which is usually set to 1. I’ll have to do some research though to be sure. I have this gut feeling it’s the lengthy samples that are supplied by the 3rd party kits. I have a bunch from Circle Drums and a bunch from Yurt Rock. Both will start cutting out when I play too fast. I also see the sample play head get glitchy and jump around in the middle of the sample.The factory kits all have short tight samples. Even their cymbals have a fade on them to make them shorter. So I did start “fixing” a few kits by shortening the samples and using the ADSR controls to make them sound decent. And they don’t seem to have the issue anymore. I just wanna know if there’s an easier way before I go revamping all these 3rd party kits. My luck is I spend weeks fixing them and find out there was a mode that needed to be turned on to make them work properly. I’ll look into the mono/poly controls. Thanks

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert

Do you got some presets from the builder of the long tailed cymbals?

Mayhaps it's for slow down beats. Myself is a Reaktor builder and coder. My last slow down was Skrewell. Got it with the second run this year.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

How long are we talking? What's the format of these samples? WAV? AIFF? Can you share an example?

• DavidAsher

Ok so the lengths vary but the longest are usually cymbals because of their long tails. Some of them are as long as 10 seconds but it seems like anything over 3 seconds gives me problems. They are all wave files. I took a video with my phone. I play really fast in the video just so I could get the issue to happen quicker. But it will end up happening eventually regardless. I have had luck with going through the individual kits and shortening the samples and adjust the ADSR to get everything to sound ok. It’s just a lot of work lol. Let me see if I can upload the video for you. Thanks for your concern. Very appreciated.

edit it’s not letting me share a video let me see if I can figure it out another way..

• DavidAsher

It said it accepts zip files so let’s see lol

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

@DavidAsher Please get in touch with my colleagues here. In normal times I would do it myself but I'm having a few days off, so it will be faster for you: https://bit.ly/NISupport_Battery

• DavidAsher
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓

Update, got a hold of NI team and eventually they had me go into preferences and allow Battery full disc access. Seems to have remedied the issue. Thanks NI,