Problem with Kontakt 5.8.1 (Not reading dlls)

Ph4ro
Ph4ro Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

Hi,

I`m a Komplete 10 owner and have Kontakt 5.8.1

When I re-installed Kontakt yesterday, it reads the standalone version but for no reason, any DAW that I have (Studio One 6 and Ableton 10) reads it as a VST.

The DLLs are installed at the right location, but the DAWs don`t recognize it.

I`m on Windows 10, any help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,624 mod
    Answer ✓

@Ph4ro VST2 and VST3 are 2 different formats. On Windows, vst2 files use these .dll, vst3 files are .vst3 and are installed by default (and this for every plug-in manufacturer) in this location: C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

So, from your screenshots, you can see where the problem is. For your custom VST2 folder in Ableton you chose this directory: C:/Program Files/VST Plugins

For the VST3 custom plugin folder you chose C:/Program Files/Native Instruments/VSTPlugins 64 Bits, this means Ableton is looking for vst3 files in this folder, not vst 2 files (like our Kontakt 5 dll)

For example if you move these dlls to this folder: C:/Program Files/VST Plugins they will show up in Ableton.

Please check the articles again, as it's probably something similar in Studio One. Check Ableton and Studio One resource regarding VST2 and VST3 plug-in administration.

Answers

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert

Do you open a contact to Ableton about you issue?

If the .dll is installed right it's mayhaps a bug in the daw.

• Ph4ro

Thank you for you answer Paule.

Unfortunately, this is not an Ableton bug. Studio One 6 doesn`t recognize it either. I even downloaded the evaluation version of Reaper 6 yesterday just to triple-check, and Reaper also didn`t recognize it.

• Jeremy_NI

@Ph4ro Please check that your DAWs run as admin: How to Run a Program as an Administrator

Then check these articles and videos carefully:

VST Plug-in Administration in Ableton Live (Windows)

VST Plug-in Administration on Windows Computers

If that doesn't help, please post screenshots of the install destinations set for Kontakt in Native Access, the plug-in preferences in Ableton and a screenshot of the folder where the Kontakt dll is located on your computer (where we can see the full path)

• Ph4ro
    edited December 2022

Hi @Jeremy_NI , thanks a lot for getting in touch.

I watched the resources you shared but everything was already set up that way.

Here is a screenshot of the location of Kontakt via Native Access.

Here is the folder where all 64-bit instruments are installed. All of them show up without any problems, just Kontakt doesn`t.

As I mentioned, this is not an Ableton thing, since they also don`t appear in Studio One 6. I even tried on the evaluation version of Reaper and had no luck. All the above plugins appear in Ableton 10 and Studio One 6 but not Kontakt.

I really have no idea what is going on and any idea whatsoever how to fix it, since it seems like a weird bug.

Thank you.

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

@Ph4ro VST2 and VST3 are 2 different formats. On Windows, vst2 files use these .dll, vst3 files are .vst3 and are installed by default (and this for every plug-in manufacturer) in this location: C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

So, from your screenshots, you can see where the problem is. For your custom VST2 folder in Ableton you chose this directory: C:/Program Files/VST Plugins

For the VST3 custom plugin folder you chose C:/Program Files/Native Instruments/VSTPlugins 64 Bits, this means Ableton is looking for vst3 files in this folder, not vst 2 files (like our Kontakt 5 dll)

For example if you move these dlls to this folder: C:/Program Files/VST Plugins they will show up in Ableton.

Please check the articles again, as it's probably something similar in Studio One. Check Ableton and Studio One resource regarding VST2 and VST3 plug-in administration.