Is M+ the next product to be abandoned by NI?

Reefius
Reefius Member Posts: 244 Pro
edited December 2022 in Maschine
ยซ1

Comments

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,114 Expert

Well...

๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธ

• Reefius

Still, development is so slow one would start to think the product has been abandoned.

The bean counters only want to release new expansions because they bring in money, while updates don't.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited December 2022

๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ That sequence of the 1st and 2nd post is hilarious. We should bring back the "funny" emoji from the old forum instead of just having a "like".

I've seen both videos before and I must say that fellow earned my respect for making an "I was the wrong video", most YouTubers are too proud to do such and stick to their guns out of pride.

I'd say it evolves at the same rate as the normal desktop Maschine has been evolving, so nothing new, unfortunately. The M+ being caught right in the Apple Silicon + VST3 transition prob didn't help either. :(

• Flexi
    Flexi Member Posts: 366 Pro

A lot of people will think it is being abandoned because of the Maschine survey they just sent out, about new Maschine hardware, to be honest I have expected it since the Soundwide takeover, so the closing down bug is a serious worry to me.

I just want them to get what is there working, and just leave it alone now, so it will just work in the future, supported or not.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

Hard to say, I think it is too soon to judge. NI does not abandon HW so fast. Everything depends on sales of M+.

For example Maschine Jam is great piece of HW, but it did not sell well and became EOL. But still NI made it usable on M+. On user request.

I agree with D-One that development of M+ depends on development of Maschine SW. And it is slow. COVID, Apple Silicon & VST3 transition - and maybe even war in Ukraine (some developers might have been from those two countries...).

Production of Expansions do not slow down the development of M+/Maschine SW. Expansions are content, not programs, it is done by different people.

• troxx
    troxx Member Posts: 29 Member
    edited December 2022

It better not, I literally just bought it last week, I was thinking about this with the recent Black Friday sale and the cash back offer they announced, is the cash back offer related to getting rid of as much current M+ stock as possible before announcing a new M+2 in the new year?

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 336 Guru

I expect support to end when the software is no longer being updated or when there's an update that breaks compatibility with the mk3 (and any older controllers). I don't expect new instruments. I couldn't care less about that; it's not why I bought M+. Even if they stop working on M+; it will stick around. People are still making music on old MPC 2ks, 1ks, etc. When they decide to stop working on the maschine software; those controllers will be as useful as a mpc touch.

I've seen nothing that gives me confidence they're investing in this platform beyond using it as a vehicle to sell expansions. It's not just because we lost a year to macs; it's the lack of feature updates for several years. Maschine isn't a plugin like battery. It may not be a DAW, but many DAWs have the same functionality now. The purpose built hardware controller isn't enough to make up for it.

Imagine 3 scenarios: New mk4 controller released by 2030, maschine v3 releaed by 2030 or the maschine platform moved to EOL by 2030.

Which is most likely?

If I had to bet on one of those scenarios; it would be the last one. In fact; I made that bet - in the form of selling my old studio and buying maschine+. I hope they prove me wrong.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,302 Expert

@D-One proposed:

๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ That sequence of the 1st and 2nd post is hilarious. We should being back the "funny" emoji from the old forum instead of just having a "like".

Yes, Please!! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert

Spectrasonics haven't released a new instrument since Keyscape several years ago, only expansion content, I am guessing they must be dying too?

• D-One
    edited December 2022

haha... In the 2nd video where he admits he was wrong, it's actually thanks to the Expansions that he fixed the issues he was complaining about in the first video. LOL... So, maybe more Expansion is the solution to everything!! Sorry, but this is just too funny... This is the best thread of this year.

Still love that guy's energy tho.

Hum... IDK about Keyscape but Omnisphere 2.8 update was pretty significant and came out just last year I think...

• Flexi
    Flexi Member Posts: 366 Pro

When does a product getting discontinued turn in to NI Dying hahaha, there are some mad hot takes on this forum.

• Reefius

I guess I'm still pissed about the JAM fiasco where they promised song mode for it but never delivered. Instead they just abandoned the JAM.

• D-One
    edited December 2022

Look at the bright side, they didn't do what they promised but they made a standalone instead, it fixed everything just like Expansions! ๐Ÿ˜‚

EDIT: Sorry, this sounded insensitive, just a jk.

• Reefius

@D-One, you're evil ๐Ÿ˜œ

• egjanuary
    egjanuary Member Posts: 13 Member

I have a MK2 that I would love to replace with a M+. But it sure seems like all the bugs aren't worked out. But are they ever?