ipad and maschine hardware version compatibility

Options

Hi guys 

I am thinking of making the jump into traktor for ipad with a kontrol s2 or s3 mk3. I was wondering which ipads are compatible? is it just the m1 based ipads that don't have compatibility with traktor dj 2? another thing, I have a maschine mark 1 and I was thinking if there was a creative way I could use it for live mixes? is it possible to link the maschine up with ipad and s2 or s3? I don't have an ipad yet or the kontrol, so I am just trying to plan out which I think might work best? one other thing I am considering about it is that I may possibly get myself a vinyl turntable as I have a lot of vinyl I wish to digitize but also I thought it might be fun to perhaps use it as another deck if possible? but this isn't possible with either the s2 or s3 right?

Tagged:

Answers

• IQMusic
    IQMusic Member Posts: 92 Helper
    edited December 2022
    Options

Hey Paul680,

welcome to the forum, I would also like to try iPad Traktor, and the S4 or Pioneer DDJ-Rev7.

• For vinyl turntable audio - Traktor Kontrol S3 feature's an additional RCA input for mixing with external audio.

In regards to Traktor DJ 2 iPad compatibility and Machine MK1, maybe @Ryan_NI can help clarify ?

Thanks, peace

• paul680
    paul680 Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Thanks IQ

I watched a review for the s3 and the person reviewing it said it was only line input rather than phono input and as such can't be used for turntables? I am not entirely sure if that is true though? hard to remember last time I used vinyl decks afair line input on mixers were always for things like cd's or digital, and phono input was for analog/vinyl? as for what that difference is? assuming it's something to do with signal levels? but I also remember back in the day you had a ground wire on the rca plugs. not sure if this is still a thing with turntables. it's been a long time!

• un_is_req
    un_is_req Member Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Just use DJay Pro - my s4mk3 won't even work with the Traktor app on iPad, and it's NI's own hardware!

• IQMusic
    IQMusic Member Posts: 92 Helper
    edited December 2022
    Options

Ooops sorry, I assumed the S3 would have a preamp for vinyl turntable audio. Traktor Kontrol S4 has the preamp for mixing vinyl turntable audio, if necessary. Some vinyl turntables feature their very own preamp built in, such as the (Pioneer PLX-500).

Here is some info from a previous thread that may help (old forum), https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/can-you-add-a-turntable-to-s3.419743/

Traktor Kontrol S4 compatible with DJay Pro ? But not with Traktor iOS? Maybe Traktor iOS will introduce some new updates and include the S4 compatibility. DJay Pro for iPad sounds great, I'll check it out, can it connect to Tidal streaming service?

Regarding the other N.I. iOS app iMaschine 2, the official statement was that it has been removed from the App Store for testing, before we buy it, to ensure that it is compatible with the latest iOS.

• paul680
    paul680 Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Hi IQ, no probs mate

Thanks for the tip I will look for a modern deck with a preamp and check that link.

Cheers