Is Maschine Plus a beta for an awesome next release?

12346»

Comments

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

One may use Mk3 and Apple now, OR use Mk3 and Win Laptop now, instead of M+. According to Apple marketshare, more people have chosen the latter. There may be more reasons, but price might be one of them...

That is how economy works.

One of the AS architects has left Apple for Intel quite recently. Rumours say, that programmers in Apple complain about wages and keep leaving Apple.

And by the way, it is no problem for Intel and AMD produce ARM CPUs... If there is demand for them.... But x86 is industry standard, there is so much SW, so much money has been invested. So, ARM would have to bring real benefits to make market to swap. The more probable path is, that x86 improves power consumption, than that ARM will end x86 era.

M2 seems to focus on graphics part of APU, not that much CPU... If it goes that way few years longer AS will not be competetive to x86 that develops fast.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,302 Expert

@Kubrak

x86 that develops fast.

If there was a development during the last 10 years, then I didn’t see much of it. Computers generally became faster because of more RAM and SSDs, and generally more affordable, but the performance hasn’t changed dramatically, did it?

• Kubrak

Well, how many cores had i7 10 years ago? Four. Now it is 16 full cores, at least for AMD. Four times more. And those cores are much better then the ones 10 years ago.

But you are right, there was period of many years when there was not much improvements... (It might be one of the reasons Apple decided to go Apple Silicon) But past 4-5 years, since AMD came with Zen CPUs, the competition made Intel to move the butt.

Currently one may see 10-20% per year CPU power improvement (per core) and at the same time more and more cores. Say, double per four years. In 10 years x86 CPU will do about 10 times more work than today.

Apple will have hard times to keep the pace. There is competition between Intel and AMD. And they both will also compete with Apple to show x86 has the place on the earth....

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod

Replying about the crazy idea before I forget. I asked around and you would borderline need hw/embedded developer knowledge to pull it off, even an sw developer might have trouble doing such an upgrade. You would need a compatible bootloader, create a distribution / firmware then fire up the compiler and additionally, extend the bootloader for missing stuff like possible crypto stuff or some specific custom drivers NI maybe did. Not a task for the average curious person.

• Kubrak

You are probably right. Unless the card differs only in CPU and/or RAM amount... Which probably is not the case....

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro

It was the only way to show prices against competition but it’s ok. In the end the news from M+ and Traktor seems pointing in the same direction (sadly) so no need for keep discussing. People can see by themselves if they want or keep hoping forever…

Take care, mate…

• raphael betemps
    raphael betemps Member Posts: 5 Newcomer

Hello all, I bought a MASCHINE+ some weeks ago. (It was a completely new product in an online store.)

I must say that I'm a bit disappointed and i feel a little helpless. I'm facing bugs every days, every time i turn on the Mashine+ (and whatever the CPU usage, which stays for my projects below 50%)

Among the frequently and most annoying issues:

-glitches and noises during playback. Solution : reboot the unit

-some projects won't load or loads empty. I have to load them twice.

-the unit refuse to start or shutdown if connected to a computer

My question is :

-Is it MY unit, , is it broken ? do i have to sell it back ?

-Is it well known with a chance to be corrected in a future OS update ?

Thanks for reading (sorry for my English, hope google translate did the job).

I had to tell about this here before claiming or complaining directly to the NI support.

regards

raphael

• ozon
  • raphael betemps

Hi Ozon,

Yes, my firmware is up to date.

Today i took time to read some threads here and it seems that I'm not the only one facing those issues.

looks like everybody's waiting for the next Os update in fews days, may be it will solve those annoying bugs...

This being said, the Maschine+ is a great gear, i like it.

• ozon
    edited March 2022

@raphael betemps wrote

looks like everybody's waiting for the next Os update in fews days, may be it will solve those annoying bugs...

I wouldn’t hold my breat for that… there are no fixes announced for these problems.

Regarding what you described specifically:

glitches and noises during playback. Solution : reboot the unit

Initializing the internal sound card should help if you experience audio problems. Go to Settings -> Audio -> Interface and toggle the selection. After that, audio should be working normally.

some projects won't load or loads empty. I have to load them twice.

Can’t remember having read this before. I suggest you contact NI support via the Maschine Support wizard about this problem.

It could be related to a slow, almost full or malfunctioning SD card.

the unit refuse to start or shutdown if connected to a computer

I think this is working as designed. When connected to an active USB hub/computer before connecting to the power adapter, the M+ is automatically switched to controller standby mode (power button pulsing orange). To avoid that, make sure the M+ is first connected to the power adapter (power button pulsing red) and then to USB.

To get out of the controller mode standby (Maschine SW not running), you have to hold the power button for approximately 10 seconds to force a shutdown.

Please also refer to the M+ Manual, section 3.6. Standalone vs. Controller Mode.

• raphael betemps

Hi Ozon,

Thanks for your answers and your support, it helps me.

For some days, I thought i bought a 1000€ raspberrypi... But overall the unit match my dawless quest, that was the point for me. I'm keeping it ;)

thanks a lot, have a nice day.