Komplete Kontrol mk1 host integration issue in Ableton Live 11.1 (KBDSW-6954)

Options
Stormchild
Stormchild Member Posts: 51 Helper
edited February 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

After updating to Ableton Live 11.1, none of the host integration features are working on my Komplete Kontrol S49 mk1.

• Transport controls don't work
  • I can no longer navigate between tracks or clips
  • My keyboard does not switch between MIDI and NKS mode when I switch tracks in Live.

I installed the Komplete Kontrol remote script in Ableton Live's package contents (same as always), and I can still see and configure "Komplete Kontrol Mk1" as a control surface in Live, with "Komplete Kontrol S49 (Port 1)" selected for both Input and Output. And yes, I have the "Komplete Kontrol VST.adg" device loaded on a MIDI track. Everything is exactly the same as before…it just doesn't work.

I can manually switch between MIDI and NKS modes, but not being able to switch tracks or use the transport controls is a pretty big problem.

Best Answer

• Stormchild
    Answer ✓
    Options

Rebooting fixed some of the problem. The issue was I didn’t have the “Komplete Kontrol S49 - DAW” device in my list, which is the one you’re supposed to assign for the control surface Input and Output. Once I set that back up, the transport controls and mode switching started working again.

However, I still can’t navigate tracks or clips with the arrow buttons.

It turns out if I switch to the “Komplete Kontrol AU.adg” plugin instead of the VST version, navigation works again. But with the VST version, the arrow buttons do nothing (even though the Komplete Kontrol plugin itself works fine). Seems like something changed in the way Ableton Live handles VSTs. Am I the only one seeing this?

Anyway, since the AU version works fine, I guess I’ll just use that instead.

Answers

• Stormchild
    Answer ✓
    Options

Rebooting fixed some of the problem. The issue was I didn’t have the “Komplete Kontrol S49 - DAW” device in my list, which is the one you’re supposed to assign for the control surface Input and Output. Once I set that back up, the transport controls and mode switching started working again.

However, I still can’t navigate tracks or clips with the arrow buttons.

It turns out if I switch to the “Komplete Kontrol AU.adg” plugin instead of the VST version, navigation works again. But with the VST version, the arrow buttons do nothing (even though the Komplete Kontrol plugin itself works fine). Seems like something changed in the way Ableton Live handles VSTs. Am I the only one seeing this?

Anyway, since the AU version works fine, I guess I’ll just use that instead.

• Stormchild
    Options

I'll mark this "answered", since I have everything working with the AU version, but it's still a mystery to me why the VST version suddenly lost the ability to switch tracks/clips with the arrow buttons, even though the plugin itself works.

• Tony253
    Tony253 Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Same issue...Have updated the S49 MK1 enough times to know how to make it work. I've copied the folder into the Host Integration folder but its not showing up in the Ableton control surface configuration list.

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,114 admin
    Options

@Jeremy_NI Have you heard about anything going on with 11.1 and MK1 keyboards?

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,688 mod
    Options

Hey @Stormchild @Tony253 The new Ableton Live 11.1 supports M1 processors natively. It will run by default M1 natively. When used on an Apple Silicon computer, the Universal build of Live 11.1 only recognizes VST2 and VST3 plug-ins natively compiled for Apple Silicon. Our plug-ins are not yet natively supported so they will not show up, you need to run Ableton in Rosetta mode. or use the AU version as the AU plug-ins have a compatibility mode. We made a post about it here :

Ableton Live 11.1, M1 computers and NI VST Plug-Ins

And now we also have a dedicated Knowledge Base article:

My VST Plug-ins Do Not Appear in Ableton Live 11.1

• Stormchild
    Options

This has nothing to do with M1 or plugins not showing up. I’m using an Intel iMac 5K running macOS Big Sur.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

Oh, I see, sorry then, we have to look into that, it's the first such report we got.

• Stormchild
    Options

For me, Komplete Kontrol Mk1 does show up in the list of control surfaces…I just couldn’t connect it to the device because “Komplete Kontrol S49 DAW - 1” was missing in the dropdowns for the control surface Input and Output. Rebooting brought it back. And then I had to switch to the AU version of the plugin, because the arrow buttons still didn’t work for navigating tracks/clips when using the VST version (even though the plugin itself works fine).

• Stormchild
    edited February 2022
    Options

No worries. I got it sorted out by switching to the AU version of Komplete Kontrol.

BTW, great avatar! “Do you see a button next to the compartment? Give that button a push…”

• Jeremy_NI
    edited February 2022
    Options

Hey @Stormchild Two of my colleagues tried to reproduce the issue with a MK1 keyboard and transport is working with the Komplete Kontrol VST.adg rack on their Intel systems. Could you try uninstallng Komplete Kontrol totally (most importantly also deleting the VST file) and reinstall it from scratch ?

• Tony253
    Tony253 Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options
  • denchk
    denchk Member Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Hi guys! 

I'm on Intel, KK S88 MK1. After Ableton 11.1 update up and down arrows in navigate aria doesn't work, I can't switch between tracks with VST version of KK software, AU version works fine.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

Thanks for chipping in, we could actually reproduce this behaviour, both on Mac and PC. Bug report in progress.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

Hey Tony, we tested MK1 keyboards in Ableton Live 11.1, on WIndows 10, the control surface is showing and operational (except for the up and down arrows for navigation, as another user reported). Did you try reinstalling Komplete Kontrol as well as the remote script ?

We gathered steps for all versions and DAWs here:

How to Integrate KOMPLETE KONTROL with Your DAW

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@denchk the bug is filed under the reference KBDSW-6954, the team is now aware of it. Thanks for flagging it.