Kontakt 7 Player Hijacked my Kontakt 6 instruments?!

EmH Beats
EmH Beats Member Posts: 7 Member
edited November 2022 in Kontakt

Hello, I have a huge problem. Last week Native Access installed Kontakt 7 Player with the Scarbee and Rickenbacker updates. Now when I open previous projects in Maschine all of my (full version) Kontakt 6 instances open in Kontakt 7 Player demo mode...

I've tried unchecking Kontakt 7 in the plug-in manager and also unchecking "Always Use Latest Version of NI Plug-ins" box. Do I need to uninstall Kontakt 7 Player??

I'm on a deadline! 🙃🙃🙃

Best Answer

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer ✓

Yes, uninstalling K7 Player should solve the issue...(It did for me).

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer ✓

Yes, uninstalling K7 Player should solve the issue...(It did for me).

• EmH Beats

That worked, thank you. Unfortunately, I had already re-saved a project before realizing something was wrong... I think I can figure out the changes I made to the instruments that I now have to load new again...

What a pain 😡

• MarkinLA
    MarkinLA Member Posts: 21 Member

This happened to me. It is unbelievably bad form. Replace a paid for full product with a demo product with no easy path back? Who the heck does that?

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru

DId it demand the release of discontinued instruments being held prisoner?

• EmH Beats

I agree, it's terrible. Being able to use Kontakt 7 player along side a full (paid for) version of Kontakt should be a given. I recently got one of the new Play series instruments and can't use it because it needs Kontakt 7... SMH

• MarkinLA
    MarkinLA Member Posts: 21 Member

I'm not sure what you mean. What I do know is that nobody on earth replaces your paid for product that is working, with a disabled upgraded product without warning you it will prohibit you from using many features of your paid for product. It makes zero sense. Want to hang with the rest of the software in Komplete Kontrol? Sure! Come on in! Break plates and take over licensed product and require blowing a hole through the wall to get you back out? Not so much.

• EmH Beats
  • LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,194 Expert

I’m in the same situation.

And yet there are people saying that having both installed doesn’t cause any problem…

I uninstalled 7 player for the same reason and now I’m holding to buy a new Play series exactly for this problem. If you find a working solution, could you pls inform me, so I can buy the instrument? Thank you

• EmH Beats

Some people aren't having the same problem? Hmm, I might need to investigate that...

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,194 Expert

I don’t know if they don’t have the same problem…

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru

I've only used Player and yes, Kontakt 2/3 instruments and all of my own instruments open as demo. I just assumed it was because it's not the 'Full' plugin.

• Jo.
    Jo. Member Posts: 28 Advisor

Hello, I just wanted to give my input on this problem that I also encountered.

When Kontakt 7 was released, I wanted to try the 7 player version (to try the "Hypha" gift, and mostly see what was new in this version (well, not much except the browser)). I installed the player version via native access, and like many, my full kontakt 6 refused to open correctly, and especially all my third-party libraries were now launching in demo mode. So frustrating.

I was quite pissed off. The quickest solution was to remove all traces of kontakt 7 player (there's a post here somewhere or a page in support area on the website that point all the files to be removed from many different places on the hard drive..). I was thus able to (re)start using my full Kontakt 6 again with my third-party libraries normally, the only problem being that the Kontakt icon remained same as the 7 was before I deleted all the files, as well as the name "Kontakt 7" when using Kontakt 6 and its "old" library. It was just a cosmetic issue, so no worries.

Then I wanted to investigate further, because I wanted to buy some new Play Series (only running on version 7 of course), I couldn't find an answer except "uncheck use the latest version of software" in KK preferences. It apparently worked for some and not for others. It didn't work for me at first, and I was just too lazy to try again because the player version had screwed up so much.

The fact is (5-6 months later) that I ended up buying some new Play Series, thinking to myself, "I will use them when I buy the 7 update later", it was a shame but not a big deal at the end. I can wait.

BUT, this morning I was installing a new third-party library that needed Kontakt 6 minimum, then I also mistakenly installed a Play Series that was kindly waiting in my Native Access for version 7. When I realized that, I thought "come on, now is the time to try unchecking the famous box in the KK preferences again".

So lucky am I ? Suddenly, everything works as expected. I can open all my new Play Series under Kontakt Player 7, I can use Kontakt 6 full for everything else and the most important, my third-party libraries now open normally, without demo mode, under Kontakt 6. Yeah!

I really don't understand why it worked just now (because I already tried to uncheck the box before deleting the Player 7). Maybe they finally fixed the issue with some updates ? (I don't remember seeing that on a release note, but yeah ok, that's good for me now...!)

Maybe ensure you deleted ALL the Kontakt Player mess before trying to reinstall it.

• inmazevo
    inmazevo Member Posts: 25 Helper
    edited May 2023

I'd forgotten that installing Hypha (and K7 'player') horked my library when I tried that.Just removed it and called it good.

I'm trying to see something in K7 that makes it worth the upgrade to Komplete 'whatever-is-current' from 12 and K6. I'm over the sound packs years ago... way too many presets and sounds to do anything with but be confused. Maybe a huge library size was a selling point back when it was 'we've got a 12GB library; they've got a 2GB library' - but everybody has many dozens of GBs now and it's just a bunch of repetition in many cases, even on the same vendors.

Time-stretching maybe? Wonder if there are performance enhancements. The browser change looks alright (very arturia), but I'm fine with the old way.

Maybe I'll give it another go; or just wait until Komplete 'whatever-is-current-in-two-years' and see if there's been actual instrument movement (not sound pack 'instruments' or semi-bolted-on K7 'instruments' that may, or may not, break your Kontakt experience). But Massive X completion, and maybe some modernizing on the FM8(or 9)/Massive fronts.