Keep having problems with routing Maschine groups into Studio One

Matthijs55
Matthijs55 Member Posts: 8 Member

Hi, I´ve been trying to work with Maschine (MK3) as a plugin in Studio One 5. I use two templates that I found on the internet (one from Steve Amadeo, one form Drive Sounds) but they both don't function properly or I don't use them properly :-). The first track (group or sound) is okay but then groups and sounds somehow start to entangle. I have watched all relevant videos on Youtube and tried every possible setting.. any advice?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,879 mod
    Answer ✓

I'd say you need to learn how to route MIDI (and maybe also Audio) back and forth and build a template that suits your needs, there are different ways of doing things and using something random from the web when you don't understand why the settings are what they are prob won't work.

The DrivenSounds template, uses the default "Sounds to MIDI Channels" approach, this means each Pad uses a MIDI Channel since the max is 16 you can't really add more Groups, you're limited to 1 - The pro about this is each Pad can be played chromatically, useful for 808 bass lines or pitched snare/hit-hat rolls used in modern production.

Steve Amadeo's approach uses the 2nd option, "Sounds to MIDI Notes" for the first Group, so notes (instead of channels) coming from the DAW trigger the Pads, this only uses 1 MIDI channel so you have 15 other MIDI channels for other stuff (Groups). His template is quite messy tho, with Groups prefilled with the same kit and there also some mistakes I've found with just a quick look.

Try to read my guide, it's for Cubase but the concepts apply to any DAW (except Logic):

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/75/guide-cubase-maschine-midi-routing-integration/p1

Answers

• D-One
    Answer ✓

I'd say you need to learn how to route MIDI (and maybe also Audio) back and forth and build a template that suits your needs, there are different ways of doing things and using something random from the web when you don't understand why the settings are what they are prob won't work.

The DrivenSounds template, uses the default "Sounds to MIDI Channels" approach, this means each Pad uses a MIDI Channel since the max is 16 you can't really add more Groups, you're limited to 1 - The pro about this is each Pad can be played chromatically, useful for 808 bass lines or pitched snare/hit-hat rolls used in modern production.

Steve Amadeo's approach uses the 2nd option, "Sounds to MIDI Notes" for the first Group, so notes (instead of channels) coming from the DAW trigger the Pads, this only uses 1 MIDI channel so you have 15 other MIDI channels for other stuff (Groups). His template is quite messy tho, with Groups prefilled with the same kit and there also some mistakes I've found with just a quick look.

Try to read my guide, it's for Cubase but the concepts apply to any DAW (except Logic):

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/75/guide-cubase-maschine-midi-routing-integration/p1

• Matthijs55

Hi D-One, first of all: thank you very much for your answer. I really appreciate it cause I've been struggling with this routing problem for weeks now. I'm 67 and I love Maschine (MK3) but to be honest I can't get a grip on the difference between audio and midi and inputs and outputs. So the easiest thing for me is when someone just shows step-by-step what settings to choose. Just like you do in your great guide (except that I don't know how to exactly apply some of those settings in Studio One). But.. my main intention is not to transfer midi patterns from Maschine to Studio One but to use the sounds and pads from Maschine to record in Studio One. That works to a certain extent with Amadeo's template but when I get to the second track pads start to trigger multiple sounds. I'm glad you say there may be some mistakes in his routing :-). Do you know of any other, better template?

Thanks again, cumprimentos,

Matthijs

The Netherlands

• D-One
    edited November 2022

There's no "better", it depends on how you want to do things, there are choices...

If you want to stick with templates then your only choice is to use a template exactly the way the person who made uses it, as soon as you change something it will break and you'll have no way to fix it.

But.. my main intention is not to transfer midi patterns from Maschine to Studio One but to use the sounds and pads from Maschine to record in Studio One.

My guide allows for both midi drag-and-drop and MIDI to be recorded from the Maschine controller to go directly to a DAW track.

Here I made a quick template for you.

Group A1 is for drums, you can load any kit to it and just record midi to the S1 MIDI track, all the other Groups are for Instruments, just load anything to Pad-1 arm the equivalent S1 MIDI track and record away in Keyboard Mode. There's also a Folder with Audio Tracks in case you want to record the output to Audio for multi-track / resampling. Everything is color matched so it should be easy to understand, let me know if something is broken.

But like I said, if you want to change something like having 2 Groups for drums/samples, or 2 instruments in 1 Group then you won't be able to do it if you don't know how to map.

• Matthijs55

Hi D-One, thanks again, especially for making a S1-template! Very much appreciated.

Up til now I didn't succeed in making it work :-(. When I arm the tracks they don't record (despite signal in the master). But I'll keep trying until it works!

One question: the settings the Groups (both the drums group as the instrument groups) in this template differ form the settings in your Guide Cubase Maschine midirouting. Is that okay?

Best regards,

Matthijs

PS I love the Organize This ****** folder :-)