Kontakt screen resolution

JustAnotherUSer
JustAnotherUSer Member Posts: 20 Member

I find that the screen resolution for Kontakt 6 on my Surface Laptop 3 is so small that is is unpleasant and difficult to use. Is there any way to adjust this without changing the resolution and object size of everything else? More details:

I am running Windows 10 Pro and using the K6 VST in Reaper.

In Windows Settings, the Scale and Layout settings are 150% (Recommended) and the Display Resolution is 2496 x 1664 (Recommended.) I can change these, and they have some effect in making K6 a bit larger, but they also change the size of everything else in ways that cause other problems.

How do others deal with this? Thank you.

Best Answers

• JustAnotherUSer
    Answer ✓

Thanks, Brad. I just found this thread and am reading it now.

So disappointing. Not holding my breath. But also using Kontakt as minimally as I can get away with, almost like it was just a set-and-forget preset player.

• BaterzDad
    BaterzDad Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Answer ✓

If you are working on a Mac, I think I have a work around for this problem.

-- In Settings, open the Accessibility pane.

-- In the window on the left, choose Zoom.

-- Then on the right, check Use Keyboard Shortcuts to Zoom.

From then on you can do a small zoom in by typing Option-Command-plus

and a small zoom back out by typing Option-Command-Minus.

You can hit Opt-Command-Plus several times for several zooms-in.

(My eyes also are not what they used to be, and I have been using this trick for some time with various plugins. I find it more satisfactory than having a fixed large-size window for a plugin, since I usually want lots of things open and visible. In any case, for me, this works a treat with Kontakt.)

Answers

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro

There is an ongoing discussion about full scalability of the KK, Kontakt and other instrument GUIs, but until the devs announce it, don't hold your breath.

• JustAnotherUSer
    Answer ✓

Thanks, Brad. I just found this thread and am reading it now.

So disappointing. Not holding my breath. But also using Kontakt as minimally as I can get away with, almost like it was just a set-and-forget preset player.

• BaterzDad
    BaterzDad Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Answer ✓

If you are working on a Mac, I think I have a work around for this problem.

-- In Settings, open the Accessibility pane.

-- In the window on the left, choose Zoom.

-- Then on the right, check Use Keyboard Shortcuts to Zoom.

From then on you can do a small zoom in by typing Option-Command-plus

and a small zoom back out by typing Option-Command-Minus.

You can hit Opt-Command-Plus several times for several zooms-in.

(My eyes also are not what they used to be, and I have been using this trick for some time with various plugins. I find it more satisfactory than having a fixed large-size window for a plugin, since I usually want lots of things open and visible. In any case, for me, this works a treat with Kontakt.)

• tengai
    tengai Member Posts: 1 Member

This is a clear demonstration that Native Instruments is clueless in writing usable and scalable software. Kontakt is down right bad in usability. Hello?? 4K monitor have been out for some time and so many other plugin developers offer a scaling feature for their plugin. When is NI going to wake up and realized their software actually piss people off. Suggesting to reduce the monitor resolution to better see their product just speaks to arrogance and customer user experience isn't important.

• JustAnotherUSer

Has this issue been addressed in Kontakt 7? Any info?

• JustAnotherUSer
    edited November 2022

So here's the thing. When I look at the "What's new in Kontakt 7" video, it talks about hi dpi and being able to resize things, like the "browser." But when it shows actual instruments, it usually looks like it is still the same old UI, with tiny type that is not scaled. At least it does not show the UI as being much different.

So - has the actual K7 instrument UI been upgraded, or will I still need to squint to do almost any kind of work on actual sounds? OR: has NI simply updated the parts of the UI that they use to shove new products at me and make "free" offers and "trial" offers that are mostly just deceptive efforts to get me to part with more of my money?

Anyone?

• Peter Hintze
    Peter Hintze Member Posts: 9 Newcomer
    edited November 2022

no, most of K7s Interface ist still not upgraded for displays bigger than FHD resolution.

• JustAnotherUSer
    edited November 2022

Thank you. That's sure what it looks like from all the video reviews and screencaps I've seen.

But the promo page says that K7 "brings our flagship sampler right up to date with big, beautiful, HiDPI interfaces."

That statement is deceptive and misleading. And a giant middle finger to NI customers. 😕

The statement is at best only part true, and the part that it is true for has nothing to do with Kontakt's "flagship sampler" functions, the only reason you'd choose to use it.

The only thing in K7 that is "up to date with big, beautiful, HiDPI interfaces" is how the aging legacy platform has been integrated into the larger NI ecosystem. Well thanks. I guess the idea is that wall to wall trial offers mixed in with my own stuff will distract me from how unusable and stale the products have become.

Sorry. No thanks. I'm done. This legacy brand gets no more of my business.

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,116 Expert
    edited November 2022

But the promo page says that K7 "brings our flagship sampler right up to date with big, beautiful, HiDPI interfaces."

That statement is deceptive and misleading.

It's not, you simply didn't read the entire sentence properly - which clearly states:

"The revamped Factory Library in KONTAKT 7 not only ups the bar for sonic quality and quantity, it also brings our flagship sampler right up to date with big, beautiful, HiDPI interfaces."

Nowhere does it say on the page that Kontakt's own UI is scalable. It's the Factory Library.