Do samples play based on tempo or need a script?

quietline
quietline Member Posts: 6 Member

If I have a collection samples that contain a articulations which were recorded at a given tempo/bpm, when making a Kontakt instrument, does the Kontakt engine handle playing them back according to the user's current project tempo? Or, does one need to somehow use a script to handle modification of the sample to play it back at the user's tempo?

I just want to be sure to design this properly so that the sample pitches are handled as well as the tempo of the articulations when varying pitches are played by the user.

Comments

• jmarcv
    jmarcv Member Posts: 9 Member

Well if the articulations are recorded and are part of the sample, then Kontakt does what any sample editor does when mapping to other pitches, that is, it speeds up or slows down the sound. So an octave lower will sound twice as long. This is why most sampled instruments will use 2 to 4 samples per octave, and the articulations are built into an envelope you would need to set up. I don't think there is a product that can parse out arbitrary articulations from a sound and modify them on the fly. If I got your question wrong, please elaborate on what type of articulations, etc.

• quietline

Thank you for your reply. I think I'll probably need to use a delay and key switch process to accomplish what I need to. At least that's what I'm think right now. This is because you confirmed what I suspected that I won't be able to rely on different articulations being played properly as they are sped up or slowed down by the engine.

Does anyone know of any sample script code that would handle something like when a key is pressed playing a few samples at various delay amounts? And any sample script that would handle playing different sample groups based on key switches?

• jmarcv
    jmarcv Member Posts: 9 Member

You might want to upload one of your samples with an 'articulation' to give people a better idea of what you are after. Seems to me you could approach this with ADSR in the 'Modulation' control (Curve, Attack, Hold, Decay, Sustain, Release) under 'Effects' instead of getting overly complicated with scripts?

• stephen24
    stephen24 Member Posts: 276 Pro

Not sure I fully understand, but you might find it useful to look up Time Machine in the manual if you haven't already.

• quietline

Thank you. I think Time Machine does look like what I need. I will try it out. I appreciate your help.