Komplete Kontrol, Logic Pro, Transport disconnect, etc...

Broadpath
Broadpath Member Posts: 11 Member
edited November 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

Greetings All,

I use a Komplete Kontroll S61 mkII with Logic Pro, which is probably a common arrangement with many of you. I've been experiencing an ongoing issue where Logic does not consistently recognize the KK upon startup and I often have to restart Logic two or three times before it locks in. This is specifically regarding the control surface functions (i.e. transport, mixing, muting, plug-in control, instance switching, etc..), though functionality as a MIDI keyboard for note input is unaffected.

Once recognized, KK works fine and all functionality is available. It generally remains stable until I close Logic, but is hit and miss when I restart - sometimes it will connect immediately, but usually I need to restart once or twice (sometimes more) again.

I use an M1 Max Mac Studio and I know that NKS products were not fully compatible under Silicon for a while which necessitated Logic to be run under Rosetta to accommodate it. I thought that might have been the source of the problem. I now have the most recent Komplete Kontrol app purported to be M1 compatible as well as the latest Logic Pro update. The issue persists, however, whether or not I run Logic under Rosetta.

I read about different versions of this problem across the NI keyboard line, including disconnects mid-session but I'm usually fine once I'm connected until I close Logic for whatever reason. I'm curious if anyone among you has found a solution, has heard anything from NI, or if this is just a hopeless quest. It's certainly not a fatal condition but it sure is annoying considering my considerable investment in NI products. Aside from this particular issue, I couldn't be happier with this product.

Thanks in advance for any an all insights!

Best Answer

• Broadpath
    Answer ✓

Hi Jeremy - thanks for your help.

It worked right after I granted disk access, then to test further I restarted my machine. It still required two launches of Logic to get the transport.

Aside from the KK S61, My other connected USB MIDI devices are:

• Akai MPK Mini (supplemental keybaord0
    • MAudio MIDIMan interface (to accommodate my Zendrum Controllers)

Fairly simple system, actually. KK Keyboard is connected direct to Mac Studio USB 2 port. I do have a hub for the other devices but the KK is not on it.

Thanks again!

Michael

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

@Broadpath Make sure to give Full Disk Access to both Komplete Kontrol and Logic: How to Enable Full Disk Access on macOS

If that doesn't help, do you have any other remote or usb midi device connected? Any other control surface used in Logic? How is your keyboard connected to the computer?

• Broadpath
    Answer ✓

Hi Jeremy - thanks for your help.

It worked right after I granted disk access, then to test further I restarted my machine. It still required two launches of Logic to get the transport.

Aside from the KK S61, My other connected USB MIDI devices are:

• Akai MPK Mini (supplemental keybaord0
    • MAudio MIDIMan interface (to accommodate my Zendrum Controllers)

Fairly simple system, actually. KK Keyboard is connected direct to Mac Studio USB 2 port. I do have a hub for the other devices but the KK is not on it.

Thanks again!

Michael

• raedur
    raedur Member Posts: 1 Member

Helped me perfect, (also used the plus sign to add Native access app. etc)

Thanks Broadpath and Jeremy!!!

• rogerbenet
    rogerbenet Member Posts: 31 Member

Same issue here. All applications set to full disk access and the problem still continues. Keyboard not always recognized by Logic and awful playback issues but, if I change the Komplete Kontrol to Kontakt plugins in Logic, the playback issues gone…

Can anyone from NI get a solution to this???

• rogerbenet
    rogerbenet Member Posts: 31 Member

Hi! I have some update. My Logic audio settings on “Processing Threads” was setting at maximum. I reset it to “Automatic” and the playback issues gone.

• Boston Ron
    Boston Ron Member Posts: 3 Member

I have seen instructions to give full disk access to Komplete Control in my Privacy settings. What if Komplete Control is not appearing in the list? I have Kontakt 7, NTKDaemon, Native Access and Logic Pro all checked. But I am getting the message in Native Access: There's an issue with the installer service. To resolve... try restarting Native Access. ... (or) restart your computer...

Background: When I bought this product (last week) I installed the library on a disk that was too slow. So I got a Samsung 2TB SSD and reinstalled on that. I still find that things take a really long time to load. That's just one of my issues.

• Keith Cocker
    Keith Cocker Member Posts: 120 Advisor

You might check to see that NIHardwareAgent is running as a start up item?

• Boston Ron

Thanks. I checked and I have two: NIHardwareAgent and NIHardwareIntegrationAgent.

• Boston Ron

Here's a question. Why does Native Access always install dependencies and ask for my password every time I start it up?

• Jeremy_NI

@Boston Ron To add Komplete Kontrol you just need to add it here: How to Enable Full Disk Access on macOS

For the dependencies issue, follow the steps here: Native Access Error: "Please grant permission to NTK Daemon to install dependencies"

It can also fix the issue with the password.

• Jeremy_NI

@rogerbenet I believe your case is more complex than the OP here.

• AAngeles
    AAngeles Member Posts: 1 Member

Jeremy, I appreciate the help you’ve given over this forum. Why doesn’t native instruments have a help phone service? For complex problems this would seem to be the best way to approach the more complex issues.

• Jeremy_NI

Hey @AAngeles We don't have a phone service anymore but we have a support by typeform and email. We use a lot of detailed articles, with step by step guides, pictures, even videos, which are easier to follow than instructions by phone (I used to do phone support a few years ago). When the issue is really really complex and the user is not able to fix the issue with the steps provided we offer remote sessions, but since it's really time consuming, we only provide it when all other troubleshooting steps failed.

• Pete from Bristol
    Pete from Bristol Member Posts: 72 Member

i have the same problem as the OP with transport controls not available. In my case I’ve traced the problem to Logic Pro templates. If I open a template or project based on one, the transport controls don’t work (they produce a sound instead). If I open an empty project, everything is fine, even if I then open a template alongside it. Sometimes I have to reinstall the keyboard (A61) using Mac midi studio if transport has crashed. I’m on a 14 inch m1 MacBook Pro. Logic templates are in the default location. I’ve followed the troubleshooting routines. Could you escalate this as a potential bug, @Jeremy_NI ?

• Jeremy_NI

@Pete from Bristol What kind of template are you using in Logic?