Integrating the Machine Mk3 and SSL Big Six

Rob Y
Rob Y Member Posts: 3 Member

Hi All,

Wondering what is possible here.

Can I route the live outputs direct from the Machine Mk3 into the USB input of the SSL Big Six, then just send the left and right outputs from the desk to my DAW. It should be USB compliant so crossing fingers.

I want to use my daw (Logic) simply as a tape recorder recording just a left and right channel, nothing else. So that my only in the box editing would be a bit of mulitband compression and reverb on the stereo tracks. I'd have a hardware reverb and delay as my two fx sends on the desk.

Dream routing

SSL

Chan 1 - Microphone - Direct

Chan 2 - Kick - From Maschine

Chan 3 - Drum Bus- From Maschine

Chan 4 - BAssline- From Maschine

Chan 5 - Hook/synth- From Maschine

Chan 6 - Synth 2 - From Maschine

All to a Mix Bus, with SSL compressor etc out to DAW Left and Right.

So for recording live sessions on the Machine, plus microphone for vocals via the SSL.

Apologies if my description is convoluted. I hope that makes sense.

Cheers,

Rob

Tagged:

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,879 mod
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓

What I was asking is can I take a USB cable between the Machine Mk3 Big Six Mixer USB to route each of my groups to a separate fader on the mixer (giving me mutes, faders, AUX sends and EQ etc all physically to hand) then Route the audio out from the mixer as a left and right analogue channel into my Focusrite 4I4 to record into logic as an external recorder.

I'm confused about that whole USB situation.... The MK3 is just a controller if you don't plug it's USB to a computer then the controller won't work at all. There's no Audio-Via-USB in a device like this, not even on the M+.

You just need to select the SSL mixer as an iterface Maschine SW Audio Settings, activate the outputs you want, then you just select which SSL channel/fader you want to use as an Output for each MAS Sound/Group and easily control them with the SSL Faders. The same way you can have MAS send audio thru the different outputs of your Focusrite, the main difference is of course the Focusrite has no channel faders or external mixer controls.

With loopback, you wouldn't even need to use the 2 interfaces to record the output.

Answers

• D-One
    edited November 2022

By live outputs, do you mean physically connecting the Line Out from the MK3 interface to the Mixer using audio cables? If so, yes since both SW would be using different interfaces.

If you mean by USB as in sending Audio from the Maschine SW into Logic then that's usually only possible via external drivers, a virtual cable if you will - unless that SSL Mixer has some fancy loopback function. Since the same interface will be selected in both software Logic won't see the output's of the MK3 as an input for an audio track... afaik.

You can fix that easily with something like BlackHole tho, it's free.

• Rob Y
    Rob Y Member Posts: 3 Member

Thanks for your reply, I'll check out blackhole that sounds really useful.

Apologies, I knew I wasn't being clear enough.

What I was asking is can I take a USB cable between the Machine Mk3 Big Six Mixer USB to route each of my groups to a separate fader on the mixer (giving me mutes, faders, AUX sends and EQ etc all physically to hand) then Route the audio out from the mixer as a left and right analogue channel into my Focusrite 4I4 to record into logic as an external recorder.

I'm trying to decide if the Big Six is the right thing for me, I think it is but want to be sure.

Cheers,

Rob

• D-One
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓

I'm confused about that whole USB situation.... The MK3 is just a controller if you don't plug it's USB to a computer then the controller won't work at all. There's no Audio-Via-USB in a device like this, not even on the M+.

You just need to select the SSL mixer as an iterface Maschine SW Audio Settings, activate the outputs you want, then you just select which SSL channel/fader you want to use as an Output for each MAS Sound/Group and easily control them with the SSL Faders. The same way you can have MAS send audio thru the different outputs of your Focusrite, the main difference is of course the Focusrite has no channel faders or external mixer controls.

With loopback, you wouldn't even need to use the 2 interfaces to record the output.