Session Guitarist Picked Acoustic Timing Issue

MikeT
MikeT Member Posts: 8 Member

I have a verse section in my song that is working perfectly but I had to shorten a transition by a beat from the previous chorus which meant I had to move the verse a beat earlier. For some reason the verse no longer is properly in time and for the life of me I can't figure out why. If I move it back to where it was before it is fine.

Anyone got any thoughts on why this is happening?

Thanks!

Best Answer

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,966 mod
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓

I thought it would make a difference at what place in the phrase it plays, but it does not. Have you tried sync set to note. Also check under each pattern, there is a line where it plays right now, there you should also see the problem visually. We had that problem in the forum a few weeks back and there was a midi cc where you can set an offset for the pattern. And this would solve your problemy cause the pattern plays wring, wrong time. It's cc111 with certain values you can shift the downbeat, now i remember it.

Offset CC#111 value

No offset 0

One quarter 12

Two quarters 24

Three quarters 36

Four quarters (= one 4/4 bar) 48

Five quarters 60

Six quarters 72

Seven quarters 84

Two 4/4 bars (= no offset) 96

Minus one quarter 84

Minus two quarters 72

Minus three quarters 60

One eighth note 6

One eighth triplet 4

Answers

• Uwe303
    edited November 2022

Hello,

can you please tell us what DAW do you use. And how do you have cut out that beat, in cubase i would insert a 3/4 part with the signature track (to cut it) or something like that and then it should be fine. Or, if i remember correctly, you try sync to note or something like that, not to host it could also work but i can check later.

• MikeT

hi, I use Cakewalk and I just slip edited all the clips up one beat.

• Uwe303
    edited November 2022

if you see a playback page then go to it and set sync to note instead of host, maybe that´s working. I don´t know if cakewalk can also set one 3/4 between 4/4 patterns, maybe you can also search i n that direction if the sync setting does not help.

in cubase it would look like this

• Uwe303
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓

I thought it would make a difference at what place in the phrase it plays, but it does not. Have you tried sync set to note. Also check under each pattern, there is a line where it plays right now, there you should also see the problem visually. We had that problem in the forum a few weeks back and there was a midi cc where you can set an offset for the pattern. And this would solve your problemy cause the pattern plays wring, wrong time. It's cc111 with certain values you can shift the downbeat, now i remember it.

Offset CC#111 value

No offset 0

One quarter 12

Two quarters 24

Three quarters 36

Four quarters (= one 4/4 bar) 48

Five quarters 60

Six quarters 72

Seven quarters 84

Two 4/4 bars (= no offset) 96

Minus one quarter 84

Minus two quarters 72

Minus three quarters 60

One eighth note 6

One eighth triplet 4

• MikeT

Wow, very good information. I did try the sync to note. While it seemed to work, all the sections prior to the clips I moved, now sound out of sync! It's so weird to me that it behaves this way. You would think moving clips around was quite a common task.

I did find a work around, but I'd have preferred it to work properly. My work around is to render the clip to audio and then move it.

When I get a moment, I'll try the cc#111. Since I moved the clips by a quarter note I assume the offset I would want is a quarter note?

Thanks!

• Uwe303

Yeah it behaves a bit strange, i also played around with it and could not find out a logic behind. But i have to admit I'm not using that stuff much and if, it works for my simple songs. Yes a quarter note should work but I'm not totally sure could be also three quarter notes. I also don't know why the pattern starts not again from start if i set "sync to note". But again I'm not using those instruments very often and don't know much about them.