Symphony Series Brass Solo trumpet slides on every note

Julianz
Julianz Member Posts: 4 Member

I added a solo trumpet to a midi track using default settings but found the trumpet slides up or down each time a new note is played. On some notes this is much worse and sounds especially unnatural when that note is repeated. Is there a way to control this? I found setting the "tightness" control to some very low percentage (less that 10% - why low rather than high btw?) seems to reduce this sliding effect but the problem is because on some notes the slides are much more exaggerated, more "tightness" is needed on them compared with others. If the tightness is too low the instrument sounds electronically unnatural.

Best Answer

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,968 mod
    Answer ✓

I really think this is absolutely intentionally, why should native make a new "flat" trumpet sound if there is already one. Also this library sounds good to mw, bit of course it has to fit

Answers

• Uwe303

Hello,

what is the name of the preset, and have you tried different ones, or different articulations?

• Julianz

Do you mean the articulation? It was set to "Sustain f". I reduced it to "Sustain mf" and that helped reduced the amount of sliding. I can understand that if the instrument is blowing harder there might be more sliding into the note but one note was way worse than others. Does this mean that the sample for that particular note was recorded this way? On strings you can vary the amount of portamento between notes. I don't see a way to do this on brass instruments? Is it possible?

• Uwe303

What exactly do you mean with slide, frequency wise or do you mean the laudnes? I can check later on my PC and see if there is an option.

• Julianz

slide means there's a change of frequency - like a glissando

• Uwe303

Ahh ok, i installed it right now and later i will have a look if I'm back home

• Uwe303

I tried and really the trumpet patches behave strange, if i just play a long note everything is fine but if i play just a bit faster there is a slide as you said. And tightness makes it a synth sound on extreme settings. This stuff sounds really amazing for my ears, but this should not be that way or at least optional. In the factory library 2 there is a trumpet sound which might fit better in your project.

• Julianz

Right there is a glissando at the beginning of every note. So yes if you hold the note there's no gliss apart from the beginning. And agreed changing the tightness makes it sound like a synth. The strange thing is that the amount of gliss varies according to the note but is always the same for that particular note. So there's no round robin variation for the same note. And some notes have way more gliss than others. This can sound ridiculous if you play the same note repeatedly. Not like how a real trumpet would sound. Very disappointing for what is called "Symphony Series". Not symphonic at all. Anyhow thanks for checking at your end. Will see if the trumpet in Factory Library 2 is any better.

• Uwe303
    Answer ✓

I really think this is absolutely intentionally, why should native make a new "flat" trumpet sound if there is already one. Also this library sounds good to mw, bit of course it has to fit