CC MIDI Learn

Kevbo
Kevbo Member Posts: 12 Member

Good morning.

I've searched through many topics, but can't seem to find exactly what I am looking for.

When I right-click a knob in Kontakt, Learn MIDI CC, and then turn a knob on my Roland Juno Stage, it learns that knob. Awesome!

However, how do I save the instrument to remember those CC controls on my keyboard WITHOUT it affecting the sound of the instrument?

What I mean is, when I turn all the knobs I need and have Kontakt learn my keyboard controls, I've just affected the default sound of the instrument, so if I were to save it as a new user preset, yes, the MIDI controls are memorized, but I no longer have the default sound. And if I were to load up the default sound, I no longer have my MIDI controls.

How can I get around this?

Thank you so much.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro
    edited September 2022 Answer ✓

Before you initiate the learn function on a control of a default patch, take note of the current setting, 'learn' the midi CC assignment, return the control to that position, move to next control and repeat. When done with assignments, save patch as new name or create a snapshot and save.

Then when needed, load the custom patch or snapshot.

Works for me every time.

Answers

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro
    edited September 2022 Answer ✓

Before you initiate the learn function on a control of a default patch, take note of the current setting, 'learn' the midi CC assignment, return the control to that position, move to next control and repeat. When done with assignments, save patch as new name or create a snapshot and save.

Then when needed, load the custom patch or snapshot.

Works for me every time.

• bassinit
    bassinit Member Posts: 2 Member

Hopefully this is the post I have been looking for!

I understand everything written above but my question is this - so say I have Kontakt 7 open and I load in an instance of Glaze - glaze.nks

I then save this as glazeUSETHIS.nks

From that point on, I drag in USETHIS ?

Essentially my question is should there be two to choose from?

Hopefully this makes sense

• stephen24
    stephen24 Member Posts: 277 Pro

Don't use MIDI Learn. Assign your automation via the MIDI automation tab in the browser.

And yes, it is always wise to save your edited instrument with a different name so you keep the factory version separate and safe.

(For "wise" read "essential".)