No aftertouch in Maschine

Wilmar Boer
Wilmar Boer Member Posts: 62 Helper

I made a nice preset in Super 8 where I use aftertouch to give a bit of pitch and filter modulation. Works great in Presonus Studio One. I used the same Super 8 patch in Maschine today and it turned out the aftertouch isn't working. After a while I found out that Maschine isn't supporting aftertouch. Is this for real! Why? And if so, where can I send in a feature request?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

@Impermanence This is a common feature request and the team is well aware of it but there is no plan to implement that in the near future.

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,968 mod

Yep, this is a real shame, with maschine in midi mode you have aftertouch, if you use the arpegiator in maschine mode it also uses aftertouch for the notes velocity. But not the classic aftertouch. That feature was already requested some time ago.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia Member Posts: 3,605 Expert

It's been a feature request forever but NI just ignore it

• Impermanence
    Impermanence Member Posts: 123 Advisor

@Jeremy_NI

Has this feature request been noticed?

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

@Impermanence This is a common feature request and the team is well aware of it but there is no plan to implement that in the near future.

• Kymeia

That’s a shame - it’s what prevents me from using Maschine for making music - it makes no sense that NIs flagship synths and its top of the range keyboards don’t work correctly with it

• Howl
    Howl Member Posts: 6 Member

@Jeremy_NI are there any technical reasons for it? Maschine Mk3 for example, has even poly aftertouch, you can use it for, well instruments.. that can do poly aftertouch...

i really don't get why such simple thing isn't implemented. it is a CC value.

is the arpegeiator the problem, some code, that prevents it?

even Ableton it took a while to implement poly aftertouch, while Push 2 also had it.

i can't look at the code, or other problems, or 'situations', but implementing aftertouch can be difficult. unless, but there are workarounds... (what do i mean, i only repeat what i already said; i can't get why it can't be implemented, it isn't rocket science, even MPE isn't rocket science, it just Midi specs.)

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,302 Expert

So, NI is deliberately ignoring what a large part of their users wants… how is that going to be turned into something profitable, in the long run?

• dayton_de
    dayton_de Member Posts: 1 Member

Is there generally no Aftertouch in Maschine/Maschine Software or is this limited to the Hardware Controller only?

i played around with Arturia Pigments in Maschine (with an USB midi keyboard,specifically a SL88 Studio) recently and wondered why it didn't react to Aftertouch. Would save me a lot of time i would spend with troubleshooting otherwise. thanks in advance

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,968 mod

Yep maschine software does not support aftertouch it is used for note repeat. And the controller, as you already know, supports it in midi mode with other software.

• Kymeia

This is why we have the absurd situation where Maschine is not fully compatible with NI's own synths and keyboards

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited November 2022

Good question. A big problem is 99% of the user base will only know about this sort of issue after owning the HW/SW, we tend to assume the standards will be there and by the time one learns to use the SW/HW then it's too late... the more time goes by the more users learn about quirks in the meantime we buy more products and expansions to further be locked into the ecosystem. 😬

I guess we are the ones financing the philosophy of "we work on what we want not what users want".

• Sami Reivinen
    Sami Reivinen Member Posts: 2 Member

I love Maschine software and really hope aftertouch support will be added. Don't want to change to Abelton as the integration is not so nice with KK keyboards and Maschine.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,302 Expert
    edited December 2022
  • Mark Oxley
    Mark Oxley Member Posts: 124 Helper

Im pretty sure if it was possible to release an update giving us the much requested aftertouch function within the Maschine software it would have been done a long time ago. It would be nice if NI just once and for all release a statement saying that for what ever reason they can’t implement aftertouch rather than keep saying they have no plans to give us what so many users have requested. After all, why would NI intentionally deny their customers a feature that’s so common across almost every other platform? NI’s ethics leave me dumbfounded sometimes.

• Kymeia

I don't believe that, I know aftertouch is used for some beats related stuff but it should least be possible to have some sort of mode switch where you can direct aftertouch to instruments when they are being used. Otherwise what is the point of Maschine being able to load instruments like Massive X, which has aftertouch as one of its key sources of expression, or integration with S series keyboards, which have aftertouch available?