How to export stems with FX?

Nyrell
Nyrell Member Posts: 1 Member
edited November 2022 in Maschine

Is there a way to export sound of all tracks and retain the fx from the groups and master? Having to solo export each sound is insane

Tagged:

Comments

• 6xes
    6xes Member Posts: 630 Pro

This is the method i use... it requires Reaper,, and some setup for routing

i did this to demonstrate how to capture FX from out of maschine, split tracks etc etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCAsDWCyoSM

• wetdentist
    wetdentist Member Posts: 14 Member

the way i have been doing it is extremely tedious. i mute all sounds in the group, except the 1st one, and then export the one sound as a group, then rename the exported "group" as kick. and then move on to the 2nd sound, etc, exporting each single sound (with all others muted) as a group & renaming. that way, group fx exports. very tedious lol. i wish NI would provide an export feature "export each sound as group" so that it wouldn't be so tedious

• Flexi
    Flexi Member Posts: 366 Pro
    edited November 2022

Muting and soloing wont work, any bussed effects like groups or master will behave completely differently when tracks are soloed vs when all the sounds are playing through the bus.

Realistically if you are going to use stems to mix elsewhere, you should either avoid group effects, or render those groups as their own stems, then at least you can just use those stems as a sort of parallel send to bring the feel of those grouped effects back in to the mix.

So render out as sounds to get all your individual sounds to stems, then render out groups too, now you can just bring up the level of the group stems like you would any other send.

• Flexi
    edited November 2022

No idea how this method could work to record individual sounds with performFX, if you have individual sounds routed to individual outs in the VST, then those should be bypassing the performFX anyway, unless you are recording group outputs, but that's not individual sounds?

performFX only works at a group level here?

Ohhhh, wait, are you doing a single sound per group, so that each sound can have its own performFX?

Either way, non of this would work in any usable way with any real bussed effects because individual sounds will always sound different through a bussed effect in comparison to every track playing through that bus, it is all about context, and that is why there are inserts vs busses.

• 6xes
    edited November 2022

its funny i wasnt trying to figure this performFX recording out...

rather i understood why something should be possible.

...and when we realise something should be possible... it is only a matter of going through the motions to make it possible!!

• Flexi

But its not? I checked, you would have to have a performFX per group and one sound per group to render performFX to individual sounds.

• 6xes

do explain, what it is you see as not possible?

im curious... and ill confirm whether or not its possible.. i assume you are referring to something the original poster was attemping to do.. ie performFX

• Flexi

The original poster never mentioned performFX?

I know what can and can't be done, no bother ;)

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited November 2022
    1. If you Export with Sound as the Source then Group/Master FX is bypassed (Sound FX is not)
    2. If you Export with Group as the Source then Master FX is bypassed (Sound and Group FX are not)
    3. If you Export with Master as the Source then all FX are kept. (Not useful for multitrack unless you do the solo/mute trick, quite time consuming)

So, no... You can't auto-export all tracks separately and retain all FX.

Perform FX or not is irrelevant, it's an fx like any other and those 3 points still apply afaik.

I could swear that previously I could at least keep Group FX when using drag-and-drop to Audio by just using keyboard mode in each Pad (described here a few years back) which is a bit faster than the method @wetdentist described but it's not working for me anymore... maybe it's a bug, not sure.

I assume that if you want to auto-export then you're not interested in workarounds that involve resampling MAS-Plugin to DAW, correct? You just wanna export everything and then move on to using only the DAW, if not than that can be a valid approach altho even more time-consuming if the parts are long since you need to do it in real-time... also one by one... So none of the current options are good I'm afraid.