Komplete Audio 6 inputs and outputs, balanced or unbalanced?

Chats
Chats Member Posts: 8 Member
edited November 2022 in Other Software & Hardware

Hi there,

I'm considering buying a NI Komplete Audio 6, but having trouble finding information on whether the line inputs and outputs are balanced or unbalanced.

Inputs 1 & 2 are multi inputs, (XLR & 1/4" jack), if I use a TRS cable for the 1/4" jack inputs on the front for a line input, are they balanced or unbalanced? Do they expect TS or TRS cables? (and what if I use the XLR input instead for line input?)

Inputs 3 & 4 are 1/4" jack inputs on the back, are they balanced or unbalanced? Do they expect TRS or TS cables?

Same questions apply for the 4 1/4" outputs on the back.

Thanks!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,966 mod
    Answer ✓

Yes you can use TS to RCA, i guess also if not the forum would be filled with complains about it. Op amps can handle one output shorted to ground directly, but some balanced output circuits have also some resistors after the op amps so then you have no short.

Answers

• Uwe303

Hello,

mic is only XLR, line in/out are all trs balanced. You can also just use TS. I guess you also could use front xlr as line inputs but then you have another impedance and one amp more, but it should work cause of the gain you can set - but as I said, just don't do it, use TRS or TS.

• Chats
    Chats Member Posts: 8 Member

Ok this great, thanks for the detailed info!

lastly, since my powered speakers only have unbalanced RCA inputs, can I safely use unbalanced TS to RCA cables in the line outputs to go to my speakers?

I read somewhere that you shouldn’t use TS plugs in balances TRS outputs, because it can damage the amps or something like that.

thanks again!

• Uwe303
    Answer ✓

Yes you can use TS to RCA, i guess also if not the forum would be filled with complains about it. Op amps can handle one output shorted to ground directly, but some balanced output circuits have also some resistors after the op amps so then you have no short.