Red wires - what do they mean?

dumbrabbit
dumbrabbit Member Posts: 22 Member

I've been working on an additive synth according to the manual and those on youtube, using the snap value array module to send values to the sine bank. However, sometimes when I mess with the code a bit, I get red wires in the idx and the two w ports. What do they mean? The manual doesn't do a very good job of explaining what they symbolize and what I need to do to fix them. They also show up in the multidisplay.

Thanks!

Comments

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,350 mod

It is obvious, just by looking your images. You are trying to connect a Mono module to a Poly module, or vise-versa. So, red wires = wrong connections. 😉

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 819 Guru
    edited November 2022

You can't plug cables from polyphonic modules directly into monophonic modules because Reaktor doesn't know which of the polyphonic voices to use.

You can work out which modules are poly and which are mono by looking at the bottom right corner. Orange square with single note symbol means mono, and yellow square with double note symbol means poly.

Some modules are only available in mono - like multi-display, many other modules default to poly, so you need to right click them and change to mono, or select them and change to mono in the properties pane.

Otherwise, if you really need to connect poly to mono, there are various modules to make conversions, either by selecting some specific voice, or my mixing them down. e.g. mixing voices is what we do for any poly structure before sending audio to outputs. We do this using an 'Audio Voice Combiner' module (You can find that in 'Built-in Module -> Auxiliary)

You'll find all this in the exceptionally good manuals - very much worth reading a few times!

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/synths/reaktor-6/downloads/

• dumbrabbit

The synth has come directly from reading the manual. I've been reading it for days and it didn't really say much about changing certain modules to monophonic. That was it. Appreciate it.

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,350 mod

I downloaded the manual (just out of curiosity)... i found it in 20 seconds

Obviously you didn't paid much attention... 🙂

• dumbrabbit
    edited November 2022

The additive synth section didn't talk about it, but it's all good now.

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert

Before you build a synth please read all manuals.