Change names assigned to knobs (and displayed on LCD) on KK S88 MKII

IvoryKeys88
IvoryKeys88 Member Posts: 26 Member

Hi there,

When using the Komplete Kontrol software, I am able to assign instrument related. functions to the 8 knobs on my KK keyboard. For example, the instrument might have a "Dynamics" knob, and I can map that to a knob (let's say the knob labelled CC14) on the keyboard.

Is there a way to change the names displaying on the keyboard? So that, for example, rather than "CC 14" I could change it to "Dynamics"?

I see I can change the knob names in the KK software MIDI settings. But this doesn't pass through to the keyboard.

Is there a way to push that through to the keyboard, so it changes the name displayed on the LCD?

Thank you.

Jonathan

Best Answer

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert
    Answer ✓

So the way you should work with templates for plugins is first load the plugin. Next, open the control page edit section as you have done and then third, delete ALL the pages that were created by default.

Add the first page

Then enable the control "learn"

Then move your control you want to map.

After that you can label them how you like then File - Save As. Load your plugin now using the saved preset instead of by the plugin menu. You should be able to do this in standalone or within a DAW

I notice that often my knobs count in the opposite direction of that knob on the instrument. E.g. 0 to 100 on the software knob, ends up being 127 to 0 on the keyboard LCD.

Never seen that as the case so would need an example of what instrument you use but possibly you are using MIDI Templates instead of plugin mapping (NKS) templates

Is there a way to change the value assignment displayed on the LCD? For example, let's say the instrument has a Volume knob, and it goes from -12dB to +12dB. Yet the knob on the keyboard goes from 0 to 127. Am I correct in thinking there's no way to make it display -12 to 12, or perhaps 0 to 24? (I tried the later by changing the range to this, but that meant it only moved the software knob from -12 to -5.4 (since the software is moving in 0.1 increments).

Again, in NKS mode whatever data is sent from the plugin will appear on the LCD controls. This is up to how the developer communicates the data to the host tho as some controls act like macros so simply have a 0-127 range. MIDI mode only shows 0-127 and no way to change that.

Depending on the instrument you can check my signature for NKS libraries that are already available to save you some time or also check the "User NKS" thread on this forum for additional libraries and templates available.

Answers

• IvoryKeys88
    IvoryKeys88 Member Posts: 26 Member
    edited November 2022

Okay ... So I've now figured out I can do this via the stand-alone KK software.

So I have a few related questions:

1. Does that mean my workflow should consist of setting up an instrument specific template in the KK stand-alone (KKSA) software which has all the assignments for the instrument I am working with. Then when I load that instrument in the DAW instance of KK, I would also run KKSA, and activate that template so the labels on the keyboard change to what I've set up for that instrument? Or is there a way to do all this solely within KK on the DAW?
    2. I notice that often my knobs count in the opposite direction of that knob on the instrument. E.g. 0 to 100 on the software knob, ends up being 127 to 0 on the keyboard LCD.
    3. Is there a way to change the value assignment displayed on the LCD? For example, let's say the instrument has a Volume knob, and it goes from -12dB to +12dB. Yet the knob on the keyboard goes from 0 to 127. Am I correct in thinking there's no way to make it display -12 to 12, or perhaps 0 to 24? (I tried the later by changing the range to this, but that meant it only moved the software knob from -12 to -5.4 (since the software is moving in 0.1 increments).

UPDATE: Since writing the above ... I've also discovered I can in fact change the labels via the KK DAW instance. Why it didn't appear to be working before is that it only shows up on the keyboard LCD when I have it in "PLUG-IN" mode (as opposed to "MIDI" mode). Once I change it to PLUG-IN mode, the labels I've set up in DAW KK instance will show up on the LCD. However, when the S88 is in PLUG-IN mode I can't assign the software knobs to the keyboard knobs. All the keyboard knobs show "n/a". 🙄

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert
    Answer ✓

So the way you should work with templates for plugins is first load the plugin. Next, open the control page edit section as you have done and then third, delete ALL the pages that were created by default.

Add the first page

Then enable the control "learn"

Then move your control you want to map.

After that you can label them how you like then File - Save As. Load your plugin now using the saved preset instead of by the plugin menu. You should be able to do this in standalone or within a DAW

I notice that often my knobs count in the opposite direction of that knob on the instrument. E.g. 0 to 100 on the software knob, ends up being 127 to 0 on the keyboard LCD.

Never seen that as the case so would need an example of what instrument you use but possibly you are using MIDI Templates instead of plugin mapping (NKS) templates

Is there a way to change the value assignment displayed on the LCD? For example, let's say the instrument has a Volume knob, and it goes from -12dB to +12dB. Yet the knob on the keyboard goes from 0 to 127. Am I correct in thinking there's no way to make it display -12 to 12, or perhaps 0 to 24? (I tried the later by changing the range to this, but that meant it only moved the software knob from -12 to -5.4 (since the software is moving in 0.1 increments).

Again, in NKS mode whatever data is sent from the plugin will appear on the LCD controls. This is up to how the developer communicates the data to the host tho as some controls act like macros so simply have a 0-127 range. MIDI mode only shows 0-127 and no way to change that.

Depending on the instrument you can check my signature for NKS libraries that are already available to save you some time or also check the "User NKS" thread on this forum for additional libraries and templates available.