GR6 pro + line6 FBV3 or ???

Rico Mono
Rico Mono Member Posts: 6 Member

PC: W11, Interface: Motu M2, Guitar Rig pro, Keyboard: Komplete A61

Question:

Does anyone have experience with midi pedal boards in combination with GR 6 pro? I read a lot about the FCB1010, but this seems to be difficult to configurate. Is the line6 FBV3 (usb midi) controller a good option and/or are there other 'easy' to configure controllers with expression pedal(s)? Please advice.

Thanks

Best Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,968 mod
    Answer ✓

Hello,

first, every controller that outputs midi should work fine with GR6 pro. It also depends on what you wanna do. GR6 has no pickup mode so you will have jumps after switching a preset and using it, but if you know that you can work around this, by quickly using the pedal after switching a patch for example then it is in sync, of course only if the patch contains even a function for the pedal. The foot knobs will work as long as they work as gate, but i never saw a big midi foot pedal that can't do this. You can create a list with presets and midi learn the two arrows/triangles for next/prev preset and that way skip through the presets. You can quickly assign 8 colors, that work as filters, to a bunch of presets, then click the color and now you only have the presets with that color and now you can skip through them, before rearrange the order.

• Uwe303
    Answer ✓

The behringer is really good bang for bug, you only need some kind of midi interface but your motu has one build in. And you need the motu anyway to connect your guitar and speakers\headphones. The Line 6 is also interesting, especially if you plan tu buy into their ecosystem later, the line6 FBV3 is made to control some of other devices they make and then you have the display in front of you. So everything has it´s up and downsides.

• Uwe303
    Answer ✓

If you have any further questions just ask, and maybe you first think about what exactly you want to do/achieve.

• Wouter De Muynck
    Wouter De Muynck Member Posts: 217 Pro
    Answer ✓

@Rico Mono , I'm using the following: https://xsonicaudio.com/pages/airstep You can add expression pedals to the device and I added 2 Moog Expression pedals (https://www.moogmusic.com/products/ep-3-expression-pedal-0) You have a smartphone app to configure the device, the options are limitless.

Grtz,

Wouter

• Wouter De Muynck
    Answer ✓

@Rico Mono

There are a few versions/editions of the Airstep. I use the Airstep MultiController, not the * Editions. There are 2 version of the Airstep Multicontroller, the "normal" versione and the Lite edition. The Lite edition is a trimmed down version with no hardware controller functionality (like USB, Midi in/out, expression pedal inputs, ..). Both devices can be combined as one controller in the smartphone app. I use the main controller to control Guitar Rig's effects on/off, expression pedals, .... The Lite controller is used to switch scenes in Maschine via Program Change commands. I also use the expression pedals to control X/Y control pads in NI software. Hope this helps.

Grtz, Wouter

• Rico Mono
    Answer ✓

@Wouter De Muynck Thanks for the detailed explanation, I appreciate it. With the foot controller + expansion pedal I want to be able to switch in GR6 between different created presets and switch the individual effects in the preset (wah control, delay on/of, distortion on/of, etc..)

• Wouter De Muynck
    Answer ✓

@Rico Mono , all your wishes will be fulfilled with the Xsonic 😌

• Wouter De Muynck
    Answer ✓

@Rico Mono, I think tha Line6 is also a great choice! Hope the controller arrives soon, enjoy! 😊

Answers

• Uwe303
    Answer ✓

Hello,

first, every controller that outputs midi should work fine with GR6 pro. It also depends on what you wanna do. GR6 has no pickup mode so you will have jumps after switching a preset and using it, but if you know that you can work around this, by quickly using the pedal after switching a patch for example then it is in sync, of course only if the patch contains even a function for the pedal. The foot knobs will work as long as they work as gate, but i never saw a big midi foot pedal that can't do this. You can create a list with presets and midi learn the two arrows/triangles for next/prev preset and that way skip through the presets. You can quickly assign 8 colors, that work as filters, to a bunch of presets, then click the color and now you only have the presets with that color and now you can skip through them, before rearrange the order.

• Rico Mono

Thanks a lot for your advise Uwe303, I appreciate your reply!

I'll have to figure out exactly how midi works between different components. It's good to hear that every midi controller is compatible with GR6. Unfortunately, there are not that many midi foot controllers on the market with expression panel(s).

Too bad NI doesn't have a midi foor controller in its portfolio. There would certainly be a market for this (user experience). A guitarist or keyboard player simply needs two hands to play the instrument and feet to... ;-)

Anyway, thanks again! :-)

• Uwe303
    Answer ✓

The behringer is really good bang for bug, you only need some kind of midi interface but your motu has one build in. And you need the motu anyway to connect your guitar and speakers\headphones. The Line 6 is also interesting, especially if you plan tu buy into their ecosystem later, the line6 FBV3 is made to control some of other devices they make and then you have the display in front of you. So everything has it´s up and downsides.

• Rico Mono

The Behringer is indeed cheap and has two expression pedals. I just saw some movies on Youtube about this controller. You can replace and upgrade the prom with custom firmware and such, but I have to dig into this further. Thank you.

• Uwe303
    Answer ✓

If you have any further questions just ask, and maybe you first think about what exactly you want to do/achieve.

• Wouter De Muynck
    Answer ✓

@Rico Mono , I'm using the following: https://xsonicaudio.com/pages/airstep You can add expression pedals to the device and I added 2 Moog Expression pedals (https://www.moogmusic.com/products/ep-3-expression-pedal-0) You have a smartphone app to configure the device, the options are limitless.

Grtz,

Wouter

• Rico Mono

@Wouter De Muynck, thanks for your advice, looks great!

There are several airstep editions. Which one do you prefer in combination with Native Instrument gear/plugins?

Grtz, Rico

• Wouter De Muynck
    Answer ✓

@Rico Mono

There are a few versions/editions of the Airstep. I use the Airstep MultiController, not the * Editions. There are 2 version of the Airstep Multicontroller, the "normal" versione and the Lite edition. The Lite edition is a trimmed down version with no hardware controller functionality (like USB, Midi in/out, expression pedal inputs, ..). Both devices can be combined as one controller in the smartphone app. I use the main controller to control Guitar Rig's effects on/off, expression pedals, .... The Lite controller is used to switch scenes in Maschine via Program Change commands. I also use the expression pedals to control X/Y control pads in NI software. Hope this helps.

Grtz, Wouter

• Rico Mono
    Answer ✓

@Wouter De Muynck Thanks for the detailed explanation, I appreciate it. With the foot controller + expansion pedal I want to be able to switch in GR6 between different created presets and switch the individual effects in the preset (wah control, delay on/of, distortion on/of, etc..)

• Wouter De Muynck
    Answer ✓

@Rico Mono , all your wishes will be fulfilled with the Xsonic 😌

• Rico Mono

@Wouter De Muynck I did some research, but my final choice was the line6 FBV3. The main reason was the price and the integrated expression pedal. Delivery time is long, but there is no rush. Hopefully in my possession by the end of this year.

• Wouter De Muynck
    Answer ✓

@Rico Mono, I think tha Line6 is also a great choice! Hope the controller arrives soon, enjoy! 😊

• mjp932003@yahoo.com
    mjp932003@yahoo.com Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

I use the Line 6 FBV 3 with the newest version of Guitar Rig 7 as of January 2024 on a MacBook Pro with an M1 Max Chip and it works perfectly. I got the FBV 3 because Line 6 is really good about updating their firmware and drivers to work with newer hardware and operating systems, and I wasn't disappointed! I use the Line 6 FBV Control software to configure the FBV 3 buttons, volume pedal, and external pedal to the midi messages I want them to send and then it is super easy to map them to the various parameters in Guitar Rig. Just right click on any parameter in Guitar Rig, clear out any existing mappings or macros, then hit the Midi Learn button and then press the button or volume pedal on the FBV 3, and it works great! Also, it has a USB port on it (USB A, I use a USB A to USB C adapter for the MacBook), as opposed to having to use old school 5 pin Midi cables like you have to with the Behringer FCB 1010. The FBV 3 is solidly built and worth the higher price tag.