New direction for Maschine (sound design vs drum box)

Maxhombre
Maxhombre Member Posts: 50 Member
edited February 2022 in Maschine

Why is it that Ni assume that everyone using Maschine is making Hip Hop, House or Techno as is a 20 something DJ new kid on the block? There should be a new direction that is sound design / cinematic / orchestral as I see Maschine as much more than a glorified MPC style drum box, it’s a great tool for sound manipulation and resources like Arcade are doing this kind of thing very well, it’s time Ni branched out more and looked at Maschine as sound manipulation rather than a drum box and maybe it’s time to invent another Maschine box that partners up with the range that has an analog modular synth style hands on knobs for filtering and fx treatments with the Maschine range so beautiful accidents can be created.

Comments

• olafmol
    olafmol Member Posts: 134 Pro
    edited February 2022

You mean something like this? It's all in there already ;)

• Maxhombre
    Maxhombre Member Posts: 50 Member

Thanks Olafmol,

nice YouTube clip, but lets have that kind of content as a Maschine library add on rather than another endless Hip Hop drum library.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,788 Expert

And what about Maschine Jam? That is valuable expansion of Maschine MK3....

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,879 mod
    edited February 2022

At the end of the day you can use it for anything you want, it's all about your creativity, tons of people use it for more obscure less popular genres.

But I'd say because historically those are the biggest crowds using groove-boxes, the "beats" crowd it's same reason Expansions tend to have only a few genres, it's those that sell the most.

The Orchestral crowd generally uses high-quality realistic instruments, with tons of articulations, and also use templates with like 100+ instrument loaded, such high demands on Maschine is not very practical to attempt.

• Psyearth5
    Psyearth5 Member Posts: 164 Helper

You can record any sound like metals and empty cans , then resampling them and you will get original rich and fat sounds for deep textures or autentic drums that are sounds fresh.

• Moonbot7000
    Moonbot7000 Member Posts: 61 Member

Sound design is native in maschine through Reaktor. Reaktor is full of amazing sound design possibilities and once you learn to code your own, it's limitless. I wish we saw better and more interesting cross functional capabilities.

• Tony Jones
    Tony Jones Member Posts: 261 Pro
  • Murat Kayi
    Murat Kayi Member Posts: 430 Pro

I think NI should come up with something like Labs to grow their fanbase from the ground up. Komplete Start isn't really enough unless there is some steady growth. And then you can draw in people who are interested in Maschine's soundscaping abilities

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newcomer
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • iNate
    iNate Member Posts: 166 Advisor

There's are fairly simple solutions to that:

1. Stop buying Maschine Expansions, because they are obviously biased [heavily] to Electronic Music and Urban genres.
    2. Use Maschine as a Controller for other software that has content that is more suitable to Cinematic/Scoring work.
    3. If you're going to use a different Drum Sampler, etc. then you can simply not buy a Maschine MK3/Mikro and get a different pad controller that is General MIDI Compliant.
    4. Get an MPC One/Studio MK2 if that ecosystem has content that is more up your alley.

I disagree somewhat. The workflow with Maschine falls apart when things are not NKS Compliant, especially if you have a MK3 and don't want to be constantly going from KB/M to Controller. The issue with Maschine is that the ecosystem is not open, so content gaps tend to go unaddressed for years until NI or one or their partners produces an expansion pack for it - when tends to be heavily overused due to the lack of options within the ecosystem.

In the MPC Ecosystem, people can easily step in and fill these voids. It's not so simple with Maschine.

I think OP should just get some decent Orchestral Sample Libraries and use a more generic MIDI Controller that has some drum pads. I don't see much value in a Maschine device for scoring purposes, unless you tend to do a lot of EDM or Urban Music production for scoring (and there is lots of that in that market segment).

If the Maschine ecosystem were more open, I think some of these voids would have been filled by talented people in the community. There are a lot of high quality MPC Expansions that aren't for Urban or Electronic Music.

• Murat Kayi
    Murat Kayi Member Posts: 430 Pro
    edited May 2022

I don't see much value in a Maschine device for scoring purposes,

But there is. I have had personal experience which made me re-evaluate the Maschine platform for those purposes and there is also user experience posts on vi-control pointing to the same direction.

It's an amazing tool for performing cues. I mean it says so right on the box.

For me NKS is mainly about pre mapped knobs and that can easily be done yourself, so..

• D-One

@iNate said:

The issue with Maschine is that the ecosystem is not open, so content gaps tend to go unaddressed for years until NI or one or their partners produces an expansion pack for it

A 'closed ecosystem' is a fair assessment in many, many regards but as far as content goes I can't fully agree, Expansions are just samples, presets, and MIDI... All stuff you can get elsewhere and add it in, this is only debatable on an M+.

Most cinematic / orchestral folks I follow use Kontakt heavily, the vast majority and Kontakt works fine in Maschine... They don't tend to sit around waiting on Expansions.

The content will always be focused on popular electronic music because that's what's popular. Let's not forget Maschine is a drum-machine inspired instrument, that does not mean it can't be used for other stuff, you just gotta work a little harder if your genre is not a popular one.

OP's idea that popular genres make you 20yr "DJ" and those sorts of genres don't require sound design is quite silly tbh, especially if asking for more pre-packaged ready/easy to use content.

when tends to be heavily overused due to the lack of options within the ecosystem.

Then other folks often complain there are too many expansions, even if they make a million they will always be overused, with factory content and "packs" that is something you have to live with, or build your own personal lib over time which is something one can do with any SW.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newcomer
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,351 Expert
    edited May 2022

I still think it would be beneficial for users, and therefore also for NI, if an Expansion Maker app existed which allows to create User Expansions that have all the features and can be installed exactly like NI Expansions (and also on the M+).

It would allow to

• create Expansions with customized content for personal use
    • share customized content in bands or collaboration projects
    • Freeware Expansions
    • 3rd party roducts

I’m mostly interested in the first two aspects but can imagine great potential for freeware sound packs.

• D-One
    edited May 2022

Sure, sequencer/sampler workstation / groovebox is way more accurate; the main point remains tho.

Humm... That would be cool, what would it do tho? Help with thumbnails? Facilitate tagging with a bigger GUI?

1st NI would need to unlock the ability for users to edit the product name tag for user content, that would be a great 1st step because that's the only thing that stops us from making Expansion like content, specifically having separate main thumbnails for things other than Samples/One-Shots.

The only workaround is using a hacky script... so technically it's already possible but a quite annoying so no one does it, at least not to share with others or sell in the popular sample pack / content websites.