Is the NI license transfer system down?

davidv
davidv Member Posts: 11 Member
edited November 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

I'm in the process of buying a second-hand Komplete Kontrol S49 mk2, but when I went to pick it up the NI website wouldn't accept the Transfer ID.

We did everything right and the seller actually requested the transfer ID back on November 3. He forwarded the email with the Transfer ID today while I was with him, but the transfer form at https://www.native-instruments.com/en/my-account/license-transfer/complete-transfer/ keeps rejecting it with the message "Transfer token not valid". We tried copying and pasting a few times, and also painstakingly typing it in precisely, but still the same thing.

After this I thought that maybe the Transfer ID had expired since it was requested 5 days ago. However, according to this support article: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000148717-My-License-Transfer-ID-is-Invalid, Transfer IDs never expire.

I'm convinced the system is broken, because we even logged into his NI account and there are no transfers listed at all in the Ready for Transfer page (https://www.native-instruments.com/en/my-account/license-transfer/my-transfers/). Also, the product (KOMPLETE KONTROL S49 MK2 HW) is still appearing in his account, but the status is "Not transferable". In fact, everything listed in his account is Not transferable. The products in the list also include "KOMPLETE 13 SELECT for S-SERIES", "Maschine 2 Essentials Application for S-SERIES Keyboards" and a bunch of other stuff.

We're completely stuck with this and can't do anything about it. We can't cancel the transfer to do it again from scratch because it doesn't even appear in active transfers, and everything is set to Not transferable anyway.

It's frustrating because we did everything we were supposed to do and I ended up wasting 3 hours and $25 on toll fees to drive over to his place only to find that the system wouldn't let us proceed.

We've logged a support request under his account, but who knows when that will be responded to and he's about to move interstate the day after tomorrow, which is why he's selling it. So if we don't sort it out tomorrow we have a problem.

Best Answer

• davidv
    Answer ✓

Thanks for your response Nico!

Julia from NI got back to me earlier today and solved it for me. She responded to my most recent support ticket where I explained everything in detail from the outset and included the document with all our details in it.

She ended up completely removing the S49 from the seller's account so that I could add the serial directly into Native Access as if I'd just bought it new. The Komplete 13/14 Select licenses also popped into my account automatically after registering the S49, so I've been able to download the software and have started playing with it.

FWIW - I suspect that the root cause of this issue wasn't the NI transfer servers, but the seller not being overly tech savvy. He was overwhelmed by the process from the outset and I think he accidentally accepted the Transfer ID back into his own account while trying to figure out how it all worked. That would also explain why all the items were now not transferrable as they were subject to a new 3-month transfer embargo.

Answers

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin
    edited November 2022

When did you send a request to our support? Our team generally answers in a couple days top. Some licenses cannot be transferred like NFRs or upgrades, but a keyboard should not be an issue.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

@davidv

And when the seller has registered his HW? Because, the items are marked as non transferable within two or three months since registration.

It does not mean it is not possible to transfer within this period, just it cannot be done by automatic system and one has to open the ticket to do the trensfer. NI, in my experience, unblocks registration code, so new user will not use Transfer Code, but instead Registration Code, as if it has been new item.

• davidv

We only sent the support request about 6 hours ago.

My issue isn't that support hasn't responded, it's that the transfer didn't work in the first place and we did everything per the instructions. He had the transfer ID ready for me 5 days ago.

Also, it wasn't a problem with the products not being able to be transferred - as I said he was able to generate the transfer ID. The code just didn't work. I have the email with the transfer ID and stating that it's for the S49 keyboard dated 3rd November. So the transfer ID is being rejected by the NI site and the seller's account has no record of the transfer and we're unable to generate another one due to everything now being not transferable.

• davidv

Thanks for your response.

The hardware was registered over 7 months ago. The problem isn't that it's still in the non-transferable period - as per my original post he was able to generate a transfer ID for the keyboard. I have the transfer email with the transfer ID. It just gets rejected by the NI transfer tool when I try to register it in my account.

So he was able to transfer it, but I can't use the code and his account has no record of the transfer and all his items are now non-transferable. This is why I feel like the system is having a problem. It doesn't make sense.

• davidv
    edited November 2022

Note that both myself and the seller have submitted support tickets and neither of us have gotten any useful help from the support team.

The seller's support rep assumed he was the buyer even though it was clearly stated in the request that he's the seller. As a result the rep assumed everything was already resolved as the product was still in the seller's account.

The one I submitted just replied that the seller should submit a ticket. He already had, and as above it wasn't resolved. I also referenced his ticket in mine, but my rep didn't bother to check that.

I'm currently compiling it all into a document so that there's no further misinterpretation as the support reps unfortunately don't seem to be reading them fully and just jumping to the quickest and easiest conclusions. Hopefully this will help to resolve it.

If there's anyone at NI that's a bit more capable that the front-line support guys, the tickets are: 3502987 (seller) and 3503448 (buyer - me). I'll be adding the extra document to my one shortly.

Note that it's entirely possible that the seller has accidentally registered the transfer ID back to his account while trying to figure out how the transfer process works. This would explain why everything is now not transferrable and why his support rep assumed it was resolved. He's not very tech savvy and was clearly overwhelmed by the whole process when I was with him.

• davidv

Also, NI you need to fix your support form.

You're using Typeform, but not using an appropriate field type for the details section where we're supposed to give a detailed explanation of the problem.

The text field is a single line and makes it very hard to add detail. Every time you click out of it - say, to copy and paste serial number, transfer ID, ticket number etc - when you come back it returns to the start of the line and you have to scroll all the way to the end again to add the text. It also makes it impossible to review/check what you've written.

I've used Typeform before, and it definitely has a field type for multi-line text with a draggable corner to increase the size. This should be a very easy fix.

• davidv

Still haven't received a useful response from NI support, even after compiling the PDF of everything they need laid explained in detail and attaching that to my initial support request. 😕

This whole transfer process has been an absolute nightmare.

• Nico_NI

I checked your support tickets and sent you a DM.

• davidv
    Answer ✓

Thanks for your response Nico!

Julia from NI got back to me earlier today and solved it for me. She responded to my most recent support ticket where I explained everything in detail from the outset and included the document with all our details in it.

She ended up completely removing the S49 from the seller's account so that I could add the serial directly into Native Access as if I'd just bought it new. The Komplete 13/14 Select licenses also popped into my account automatically after registering the S49, so I've been able to download the software and have started playing with it.

FWIW - I suspect that the root cause of this issue wasn't the NI transfer servers, but the seller not being overly tech savvy. He was overwhelmed by the process from the outset and I think he accidentally accepted the Transfer ID back into his own account while trying to figure out how it all worked. That would also explain why all the items were now not transferrable as they were subject to a new 3-month transfer embargo.

• Nico_NI

Thanks for sharing @davidv, good to hear you finally can use your keyboard!

This thread is now closed.

This discussion has been closed.