How to prehear Massive User Presets in Maschine+ standalone mode

Janson vom Dach
Janson vom Dach Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Hello everybody!

Absolutely loving my Maschine+ but there is one thing I couldn't wrap my head around. Is it not possible to prehear User Presets in any synth? I can find the User Presets on my Maschine+ and can also load them, but I don't hear a thing when I'm browsing through the list. Is this by intention?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert
    Answer ✓

Yes, generally user presets do not have prehear in Maschine SW and M+.

Maybe, there might be a way to add prehear to user presets, but it is not simple, if possible. One would have to prepare the prehear file for preset and place it wright place and probably do some more things.....

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓

It's not technically hard but it's rather tedious.

You have to export the audio, convert it to ogg, place it in a sub-folder called .previews , and make sure the file name is exactly the same as the preset but with the .ogg extension at the end. (of course, all this has to be done in a computer then you move it to the SD card)

It works fine on Maschine+

NOTE: On MacOS folders that start with a . (dot) are hidden by default. Press CMD+SHIFT+. to toggle show hidden files on/off.

Answers

• Kubrak
    Answer ✓

Yes, generally user presets do not have prehear in Maschine SW and M+.

Maybe, there might be a way to add prehear to user presets, but it is not simple, if possible. One would have to prepare the prehear file for preset and place it wright place and probably do some more things.....

• Janson vom Dach
    Janson vom Dach Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Oh interesting. So you're saying there is a specific prehear file that doesn't get created for User Presets and that's why we're not able to prehear user presets? Why would anyone design it like this?

Any plans on changing this / adding the capability to prehear any user presets (custom / 3rd party / whatever) in Maschine+ / Maschine SW?

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,301 Expert

On the computer, the Native Browser Preview Library is even a separate installation of 8GB via Native Access. It contains audio files in a specific format which are used for the prehear of synth presets.

• Kubrak

Yes, that is my understanding of things. I may be wrong......

Prehear has been added to Maschine SW few years ago, but it is only for NKS factory sounds/presets.

Some brave souls convert non NKS plugins to NKS and part of it is to create prehear files....

No idea, if NI has any plans to add prehear of user presets. I doubt it, but who knows?

• Eight4aWish
    Eight4aWish Member Posts: 53 Helper

On a computer the prehear files are usually short ogg files with names like name.nksf.ogg which are stored in the presets folder “.previews” subfolder (on a Mac this folder is hidden). Some of the factory previews are stored in the NBPL library. The Maschine desktop software is good for exporting multiple, short wav files that you make using a simple one bar midi file. The old forums NKS User Library thread has guides from various people showing how to bulk trim the file names, convert wav to ogg etc.

• Kubrak

So, generally it is not a simple 1 second task even if one knows how-to....

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓

It's not technically hard but it's rather tedious.

You have to export the audio, convert it to ogg, place it in a sub-folder called .previews , and make sure the file name is exactly the same as the preset but with the .ogg extension at the end. (of course, all this has to be done in a computer then you move it to the SD card)

It works fine on Maschine+

NOTE: On MacOS folders that start with a . (dot) are hidden by default. Press CMD+SHIFT+. to toggle show hidden files on/off.