Kontakt Stopped Seeing External Drive

kripke
kripke Member Posts: 12 Member
edited November 2022 in Kontakt

Hi,

I'm using Kontakt 6 with Studio One on a Mac Mini M1

I've had no issues before until now when Kontakt has stopped seeing my Sandisk external 1Tb drive.

"Show Removeable drives" is ticked under View.

I have other VST instruments (UVI and Ample Sounds) with samples stored on the same drive which are still working fine.

I've disconnected/reconnected the drive but no change.

Can anyone help/suggest something?

FYI - I did recently update to Ventura 13.0 - any known issues?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Jojo123
    Jojo123 Member Posts: 231 Advisor
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓

For Logic ExFat is a big no no and causes issues. I'm fairly sure the same goes for audio apps in general. Its recommended to use APFS, especially for later OSes and SSDs, or at the least Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

@kripke Yes, @Jojo123 is right, you should reformat your drive to APFS. Notes on Hard Drive Formats on Mac Computers

Kontakt should still be able to see the drive though, as I said before, there is an issue with Ventura that causes our programs not to see external hard drives formatted to NTFS, ExFat and MsDos. This will be fixed by updates.

You should reformat anyway, this way this problem won't affect you and you will also save yourself from future issues.

Answers

• Jeremy_NI

Hey @kripke There is a similar issue in Traktor. It seems that Apple changed their file system with MacOS Ventura. It's very likely that the same thing is happening with you and Kontakt 6. What format is your Sandisk drive?

• kripke

Hi thanks for the reply

Not sure what format the Sandisk is or how I find that out.

• kripke

Its a Sandisk 1TB Extreme Pro Portable SSD

• Jeremy_NI

You need to right-click the drive and choose get info:

• kripke

Okay thanks

The drive is ExFat formatted

• Jojo123
    Jojo123 Member Posts: 231 Advisor

For Logic ExFat is a big no no and causes issues. I'm fairly sure the same goes for audio apps in general. Its recommended to use APFS, especially for later OSes and SSDs, or at the least Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

• Jeremy_NI

@kripke Yes, @Jojo123 is right, you should reformat your drive to APFS. Notes on Hard Drive Formats on Mac Computers

Kontakt should still be able to see the drive though, as I said before, there is an issue with Ventura that causes our programs not to see external hard drives formatted to NTFS, ExFat and MsDos. This will be fixed by updates.

You should reformat anyway, this way this problem won't affect you and you will also save yourself from future issues.